dutch ovens on a domestic gas cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
I had a sainsburys cast iron cassarole pot that gave up the ghost after a few years, whilst my hand me down Le Creusets are still going strong, only problem is they are too small for certain dishes. Given that a 6/7 litre Le creuset is stupid money I have been considering a more tradional ducth oven without legs. I know that these are not enamel coated. I just wondered if anyone has any experience/recommendations regard using a tradional dutch oven on a gas cooker for long cooking periods?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If it doesn't have legs, it's actually meant to be used on a cooker (or in an oven) On the cooker it's no different from any ordinary CI frying pan.

I have a deep one similar to this one on ebay except mine is in better shape. Take the lid off and invert it and it doubles as a griddle:

s-l1600.jpg

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I bought acast iron Dutch oven as part of a set of pans and skillets in the mid 1970s. IIRC cost all of UKP 20. Still using it now. Have used it on both electric and gas hobs and ovens. Once properly seasoned, no problem. Probably a bit more expensive now, but still good value,just as a cast iron skillet can be good value

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE