Croatia - Zrmanja - pic heavy!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James Popham

Dec 25, 2003
Central Croatia
Here's a post i've been meaning to write for some time but haven't gotten around to.
As i'm working on the new ethic of "Work like a Professional" (as oppossed to an artist) for all tasks, here it is done at last.

A search for "Croatia" on the forum prompted me to begin thinking that some pics and details of this wonderful destination are in order as the summer holiday season is here. Aside from a few posts up till now there hasn't been much on the site.
Notably see here, here and here.

Wiki details for Croatia.

The laws in Croatia are somewhat different from those in the UK with regard to camping and bushcraft, mostly camping is restricted to registered offical camps, but it is possible to stay on private land for a short stay by agreement with the land owner. Camping in national parks is prohibited. In summer fires are often prohibited also due to the risk of forest fire. Last week it was 38C here, which is not unusual in summer, woodland is often tinder dry - exercise caution.

Having said that there's still alot of fun to be had as can be seen below....

Last year i took my first river trip to begin practicing my canoe skills with my wife and some friends. Our destination was the Zrmanja river near Zadar, a friend of ours who is a registered travel guide offered to take us, he provided the boats and selected the route.
The canoes we used were the robust sit on top kind which i found fine for my first outing. You can see some here on the top of the van.
P8030244.jpg

I believe i remember a post of John Fenna's describing this area from before (which i couldn't find when searching), it is truly breathtaking.
DSC01081.jpg

Darko, our friend and guide is great fun, if you're thinking of visiting Croatia he leads cycle tours, single or multi day hikes, canoe and white water rafting trips as well as arranging transfers. He also arranges custom packages to meet your particular needs.
You can see his website here.

The trip on Zrmanja was just a day, 6 hours of paddling with some small (to 2 metre) waterfalls to negotiate, which added some challenge to the trip, and made for some welcome opportunities to cool off.
1 Larger waterfall we bipassed, that was more in the region of 6 metres, braver paddlers jump it ...... apparently.
DSC01055.jpg

We spent the next few days hiking in the local area and paddling in hidden lakes and rivers in the steep canyons which fill this coastal area of Croatia.
DSC01091.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

We didn't bump into any tourists on our trip in the surrounding area, it was roasting hot in the canyons but caves and streams provided some shade and a chance to cool off.
DSC01119.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

NOTE: Don't forget to put sunscreen on your ankles when canoing. (especially if you've only got meindl Borneo's with you and no trail shoes!!) The waters cool but the sun is strong.....
DSC01109.jpg

Croatia has a vastly smaller population than the UK and although in summer the coast is often heaving with tourists, if you manage to get away from the honeytraps it isn't hard to witness the varied wildlife and enjoy the tranquility.
DSC01090.jpg

P8041388.jpg

NOTE: In tourist season there can be alot of traffic on the Zrmanja river with competing tour agencies all having their groups on the river at the same time (up to 60 canoes at the same time with 2 or 3 in a boat!!)

Last edited:

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Many thanks Jamess, awesome trip. This year me and my wife will go on Peljeasac peninsula (Croatia), besides our RV we will had our kayak, so these infos are just great!!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Very nice pics, thank you. I toured the area many years ago when it was still Communist Yugoslavia and despite the "contraints" it is (and still is) a magnificently beautiful country. I have since spent a bit more time on the coastal fringes (by yacht) and the scenery once again held up to expectation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE