Companion Planting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have been looking into a little about companion planting and was wondering if any experienced gardeners out there can provide an insight on how to go about it?

I have read briefly in a few books that you can plant other plants in between rows of vegetables. Does anyone have any examples of this?

Do the plants have to be relatively close to the vegetables or is it just in the garden in general?

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
We planted marigolds next to carrots last year as ist meant to keep the carrot fly off, and hey, no carrot fly !
lettuce undersown beneath peas is a also a good idea, saves space !

Thanks bigbear. I have read that marigolds do help with potatoes so might give that a go. I am planting a section for carrots/parsnips next to a section for onions but not sure if they should be planted in alternating rows to help deter carrot/onion fly.

The alternative was to separate the two sections with a row of lettuce or chives. I do have a small section in this plant for two herb beds and considering certain herbs.

For the brassica and pea plot I have no idea yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE