Clematis winter ID?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
An internet search for Clematis only shows pics of beautiful flowers. Winter pics only show a bare bush.

Can anyone tell me how to ID/find Clematis in winter?

Going hiking on the South Downs for a few days. For hand drill use.

Thanks.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I take it you are looking for the wild clematis, or old man's beard travelers joy to give a couple of common names. It bears lots of fluffy white seeds that are a useful tinder so you may be able to identify it that way if there are any seed heads left on the plant. Basically it is a climber so look for the lianas (stems) scrambling through hedges and bushes. It's much easier to identify in autumn with the seed heads still on. Try googling old man's beard.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
its actually very distinctive and easy to spot in the winter. No leaves to block the view and just keep an eye out for the long lengths climbing up into other trees. Look up how the bark looks before and you should be fine.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Most of the clematis around here still has plenty of seed head on it so it's easy to identify:

winter-clematis-400x600.jpg

228.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You’ll not be able to miss it on the Downs at the moment, many of the trees and hedgerows are cloaked in it.

Where’s your route taking you?

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
Thanks very much for the replies and the photos.
I feel a bit daft. I now recognise it but I have always called it something else and therefore ignored it. A problem when spending a lot of time living abroad with so many different names.
I have probably also confused it, as mentioned above, with honeysuckle. I will head out and get some.

In France I often see it wrapped around big trees. The lower part usually has a foot long section cut out. I suppose 2 cuts are made so it is clear that it has been done. Would that be correct?

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
I have just spent 3 days/nights hiking along the South Downs Way.
The clematis as shown in Broch's picture is very common along the hedgerows but the branches are only pencil thin and no good as a hearth wood. There were some thicker stems but it probably would not have been good to cut a farmers hedge.

The 'Tarzan vines' in Mesquite's picture I found hanging from trees in forests. Up to wrist thick. The bark strands, when rolled into a fibrous ball, ignited very easily. And it was easy to find dry bark in the rain.

I needed the wrist thick vines to make a hand drill hearth. When cut, this was dripping in sap and will need drying out. Vines about finger thick were dry and worked well in a firebox with assisted air flow.

I could not find any vines that did not snap when bent. So basket making was not possible. I know it will work if soaked but I have heard it can be done straight away. Different time of year?

The same goes with making cord, too dry and brittle. I could make thin twine by rolling small amounts into a ball but this was time consuming. Is there an easier way to make thick cord?

I will update when the wood has dried out and used as a hearth.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
To clarify, you cut down a living, wrist thick, clematis vine to experiment with making a hearth board to practice friction fire lighting?

Did you ask the landowner's permission?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
To clarify, you cut down a living, wrist thick, clematis vine to experiment with making a hearth board to practice friction fire lighting?

Did you ask the landowner's permission?

Oh come on, there’s no need to be scathing. Was the chair you’re sitting on while typing repurposed scrap wood from the forest floor? The bed you sleep in, the board you cut bread and veg on, the table you eat from? I’m not advocating destructive vandalism but don’t get too high and mighty, just help the fella with decent advice, not rap his knuckles while he’s trying to learn stuff.

For a beginner, it’s not always easy to tell what’s what. I took a friend camping once in Spring and showed him how to look for dead standing wood to burn. Poor bloke cut down an Ash that hadn’t leafed up, dragged the whole tree back to camp and was pleased as could be with his find. We used it anyway, and we both still have a rough spoon each we made from it. :)

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
Yes I did. I was careful with my choice, there was miles of it chocking out some trees. I did the trees a favour. You're welcome.

99% (*) of bushcraft is done without permission. That leaves 1% who can patronise the rest.

(*) I made that figure up.

I appreciate your input, I am entitled to reply. I hope no bridges are burnt.

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Oh come on, there’s no need to be scathing. Was the chair you’re sitting on while typing repurposed scrap wood from the forest floor? The bed you sleep in, the board you cut bread and veg on, the table you eat from? I’m not advocating destructive vandalism but don’t get too high and mighty, just help the fella with decent advice, not rap his knuckles while he’s trying to learn stuff.

For a beginner, it’s not always easy to tell what’s what. I took a friend camping once in Spring and showed him how to look for dead standing wood to burn. Poor bloke cut down an Ash that hadn’t leafed up, dragged the whole tree back to camp and was pleased as could be with his find. We used it anyway, and we both still have a rough spoon each we made from it. :)

I beg to differ Rich so we'll have to agree to disagree. The most important lesson for any aspiring 'bushcrafter' in this overcrowded island is how valuable our limited natural world is, how important anything is to the ecosystem it exists in, and how futile our own 'hobby' needs are. This forum cannot support people going onto land and cutting down living wood without permission - that is rural vandalism. If a tree is not being grown for its timber the clematis is as important a part of the wildlife habitat as the tree (more so in the case of some trees).

Rant over - I'll get back down to the wood and see what's emerging :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I beg to differ Rich so we'll have to agree to disagree. The most important lesson for any aspiring 'bushcrafter' in this overcrowded island is how valuable our limited natural world is, how important anything is to the ecosystem it exists in, and how futile our own 'hobby' needs are. This forum cannot support people going onto land and cutting down living wood without permission - that is rural vandalism. If a tree is not being grown for its timber the clematis is as important a part of the wildlife habitat as the tree (more so in the case of some trees).

Rant over - I'll get back down to the wood and see what's emerging :)

I don’t disagree at all. The guy is new to the this plant and cut live so didn’t actually get the chance to do what he wanted with it, to make a hearth. We’ve all made mistakes, and even been destructive, but it was the attitude of your post that wasn’t helpful, no offence, but it read to me as a little patronising.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE