Best winter feel good food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
For most chocolate always finds its way into a pack or pocket and comes out when the body and spirit needs lifting. I admit to being in this category as well as tending towards a few other tasties, like cooking fish over the fire.....Umm. :biggthump

How about the rest of you, what do you think is the best winter grub while in the wilds?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Tony

I'm with you on the chocolate - but please make it Bournville or the kids pinch it!

Other than that I like to stumble on something unexpected like late fruit in a sheltered spot, or some nuts the squirrels haven't found yet.

Dave

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yep!! chocolate is a must..... but I always carry a bag or cornflakes as well....
Boil some water in the billy and use the upturned lid to melt the chocolate... add cornfalkes and mix..... the smell of chocolate while cooking is just ummmm..... when mixed put in a waterproof container and stick in a river to cool over night. don't forget to lick all the chocolate out of the lid... don't want to waste vital calories..... and lo and behold..... chocolate cornflake cakes for breakfast :)

My fave wild food in winter has to be... 'chestnuts roasting on an open fire' ... its just that time of year ;-)

Ed

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I love dumplings!

Take dry dumpling mix that you've made up at home - make them up with a bit of water - throw them in the pot with whatever you're cooking, wait twenty minutes and then sit back and feel good :-D

George

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Rich, moist, denser-than-old-oak fruit cake. Can't beat it. Also perfect if you hike with Americans because they cannot stand the stuff and so never pinch it.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Heinz Pork sausages and beans with naan bread that hot you can only just hold it. Oh and a piping hot cup of coffee. Its just the Bee's knees when the air starts getting cold and crisp.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Flapjacks. Bunged full of nuts, seeds, dried fruit - my recent batch uses hazelnuts, peanuts, sesame seeds and sultanas.

They never last, though.

Just don't cook them until they are brittle!

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
From my vegetarian perspective: Veggie sausages (Cauldron Lincolnshire) and beans cooked over the fire... very satisfying.

Last year I found a great recipe for an African curry that involved sweet potatoes, butternut squash and apple, that was a big hit!

Food just tastes better outdoors...

Hellz

mac

Oct 28, 2003
durham
I've been busy absorbing info and just getting round to this post....I'm in desperate need to learn about wildfoods,game etc..the hows, what's and dangers etc but I quite fancy the thought of a mixed grill of smoked pheasant, rabbit and fish with some mushrooms and chestnuts washed down with (a handy bottle of red wine).

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Gotta be Canadian pancakes in Maple syrup fresh from the pan.

Another favourite (for the trail) is chocolate covered Kendal mint cake!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
bigjackbrass said:
Rich, moist, denser-than-old-oak fruit cake. Can't beat it. Also perfect if you hike with Americans because they cannot stand the stuff and so never pinch it.
Jack, when I was a lad, my mum used to make me a couple of fruit cakes when I left for each new term at college. She made them specially in a rectangular bread tin so they were a perfect fit in the side pockets of my backpack! Soak the fruit well with your favourite tipple, I mean preservative :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Alick I like the cut of your JIB!!

I will try that one myself - I used to love the fruit cake we got in compo - soaked in rum it'd warm more than the cockles me thinks!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Excellent advice, Alick. Naturally I trust your judgement absolutely, but nonetheless feel that before I take such well preserved nutrition into the wilds I had better subject it to some exhaustive testing...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE