best value whetstones?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
i currently have a lanksy 4 rod turnbox and while it gives a good edge it doesnt give a particularly long lasting edge and i have a few dinks in my mora that i want to work out of it.

Ive decided to get hold of a set of whetstones but dont know what to go for first or where to get them from. dont have a massive budget so happy for good condition second hand if anyone has seen any for sale. what do you think guys?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
that looks good, but i really want something that will make my knives look beautiful aswell as functional if you know what i mean.

ive just watched uncle rays video on this and i think what im going to do is save up and get the 800, 1200 and 6000 grit ones he has. though i may buy one of the £4 oil stone to practise one with my hultafors heavy duty knife because i dont really care what i do to it

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use the 4 sided block from Aldi, looks identical to Mac's block. Followed by a strop on a paddle strop or a bit of mdf with Autosol on it.

Actually prefer the £7 Aldi block to my DMT diamond benchstones for taking dinks out of blades.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-374894-Diamond-Sharpening-Block/dp/B001C7LV6C

Get yourself one of these, cheap as chips and quite good enough if you use a strop after you use the diamond block; mine has lasted two years now and is still good, I use it with water but you have to be careful about drying it or else the diamond coating will deteriorate.

I have one of those and for the money its unbeatable.

Rinse after use and dry it off and it will last for years.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I use the 4 sided block from Aldi, looks identical to Mac's block. Followed by a strop on a paddle strop or a bit of mdf with Autosol on it.

Actually prefer the £7 Aldi block to my DMT diamond benchstones for taking dinks out of blades.
I have a DMT one as well, cost knocking on forty quid and the four sided thing bests it by a fair margin.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
im looking at this set, what is the honing guide for? my whitby stainless knife has no bevel which is i believe a flat grind? will the honing guide be useful for sharpening it?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marples-Irw...UTF8&qid=1401563762&sr=8-3&keywords=oil+stone

The honing guide is for a chisel, or for the blade in a plane. It's no use for your knife. The stone would work but it's a bit on the coarse side given your requirements for beauty. :)

I can't tell what grind your Whitby knife has from your description, there's a bit more to it than whether or not there's a bevel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grind#Typical_grinds

Take a look at the five pound sharpening kit before you spend a lot of money.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11571

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
ged my whitby is number 2 a flat grind. ive ordered the diamond block fro a tenner and my friend has offered to load me a 1000/6000 grit whetstone when i can pick it up form bristol. i think ill see how i get on with that lot for now. ill be practising on my hults knife and mora before doing anything on my stainless. is the same method used on stainless as is on carbon?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
ged my whitby is number 2 a flat grind. ive ordered the diamond block fro a tenner and my friend has offered to load me a 1000/6000 grit whetstone when i can pick it up form bristol. i think ill see how i get on with that lot for now. ill be practising on my hults knife and mora before doing anything on my stainless. is the same method used on stainless as is on carbon?

You'll get on fine with those.

Yes, same methods, differences in technique are more about the blade geometry than the material but if you do a lot of this you'll soon start to notice differences in the way the different steels behave.

I try not to mix the abrasives that I use on carbon steels with those that I use on stainless. If you have particles of carbon steel in the abrasive matrix and then use it on a stainless blade you can embed those particles into the stainless and that can help corrosion to start in the stainless.

Clean the diamond block faces with a cloth after you've finished work and keep them dry or oil them so that you don't get rust forming. You don't want to embed rust particles into an edge.

Try always to remove the minimum amount of metal from your blades. Use a strop and polishing paste more often than you use the harsher materials like diamond and carborundum.
Most of the time a quick strop is all that's needed and the blades will last a lot longer that way. :)

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Hi,

Just as an aside I ordered:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004TRT4QG

As a cheap stone. Having stupidly not bothered to read the detailed specs I was surprised to find that it was pretty hefty and not something you would want to lug into the 'field'. But when I tried to return it, Amazon responded to say that because it was in their 'extras' range that they would refund the money and I could keep it for free. Bonus. I guess this because the weight to value ratio makes it not cost effective for Amazon to process the return.

I haven't used it yet on my Whitby but it gets reasonable feedback.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
For a home-based full sizes whetstone, consider picking up a King 1000/6000. It's reasonably inexpensive, will last forever, and the two grits will maintain your knives forever. Unless you have a big problem, you shouldn't need a coarser bevel-setting stone. The 1000 can handle most of it. The 6000 will keep or make a blade shaving sharp. If you'd like to refine it further then you'll spend a lot on a finer hone, so consider a pasted strop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE