Battery powered chainsaws (10" blade)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hi All.

As you may know I've finall taken the plunge and am going s4elf employed as a gardener. At some point, probably next year, I'll be taking my chainsaw ticket for work clearing storm damage in the winter.

In the mean time I'm tempted to buy a battery operated one (I've heard the Stihls are very good) in order to make fruit tree pruning and other clear up jobs that bit easier.

I would like to know if any of you lot have any experience with any similar saws and what you think of them?

Also, does anyone know if they come under the same legislation as proper grown up chain saws? Can I use them legitimately under my PLI as a gardener. I'd only be using it for pruning small branches and tidying up fallen wood on the ground. I can't see how it'd be any more dangerous than using a bow saw or pruning saw for similar work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Rob

Get a Silky Big boy saw or the Pro fixed Blade ones they will cut pretty much as fast and a lot cleaner than a Chainsaw especially for pruning I find it quicker as well as i can easily use it one handed leaving my other hand to pull and hold stuff etc Oh and they dont run out of battery

ATB

Duncan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Battery saws no - I do run an electric Husqy (321 el) for cutting firewood - excellent tool for when you are constantly picking up and putting down. I find it a pain for falling and sectioning though - I use a 350 for that. Electrics can have a lot of torque - mine runs the equivalent of a 2.8hp petrol saw.

My fear on a battery one would be battery life (both run time and longevity) - my battery drills eat batteries in hard work.

I'd be more tempted to go for a light, 12" bar petrol for the same money - I'm not sure that the battery buys much advantage in your trade - MS181 will run about the same money

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
I have one of these that i use in the garage on firewood it is ok for small work.The only plus side is that there is no fumes and very little noise

Andrew
PS I only paid £50 ish for it in Argos

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE