Advice needed - making a little wood carver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi All

seeking a bit of advice here. I have one of those cheap survival knifes with the hollow plastic handle knocking around (we all know the one I'm taking about 'Survival Knife')

I was thinking of taking the blade and grinding it down to a small stick tang wood carver. My question is, is their any point? Or is the steel just too cheap/weak to bother?

all advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Valid point.

In fairness to the blade, it got some serious abuse when first got it, pretty much most of the knife no-no's to be honest.

Ste

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I may as well!

I assume I wouldn't need to heat treat, etc as it was already done?!?

Thanks for the replies

Ste

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I am hoping to do most of the work on a bench grinder so should I just do a little at a time then let it cool?

This is a rough with permanent marker of the shape, etc

(please excuse poor pic- taken with tablet)

thanks,

Ste

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Clamp a chunk of ally on each side of the bit you want to keep as the blade - keep that wet and you shouldn't overheat it while you grind the rest away. Have you tested it with a good hacksaw blade yet? You never know the original HT might not have hardened it as much as you think?

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Start at the tang end of things, where the blade hardness matters least. Practice keeping it cool before you get to the business end. There should be no colouring of the steel after each touch of the grinder. You would be safer to do the part next to the blade edge with files or stones by hand.

Keep us posted.

Z

Still refusing to upgrade Tapatalk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE