Acorns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
In order to upset the local squirrels, I've just gathered up a moderate number of acorns.

I've boiled them to soften the shells, shelled them, brought the result up to the boil several times (fresh water each time), washed them and they're now drying in the oven.

Anything I should be doing differently? Maybe only discusses them as a coffee substitute, but currently they taste/feel a bit like chestnuts.

Of course, the right way to upset the squirrels would be to harvest the acorns whilst still inside the squirrel... :twisted:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I'll post some recipes later when I dig out my books. You have what is singularly the richest single food source in the plant kingdom. You can boil the mast or simply repeatedly rinse in water until it washes clear. That solution of tannic acid is also usefull as an antiseptic and preparing leather ( hint, ever hear of "oak tanned leather?) Acorns can be prepared as a mush soup, breads or biscuits ( what we call cookies) just to name a few common fares. What should you be doing, besides worrying the squirrels? What is the local health of your oak population? Are they all ancient matriarchs surrounded by development, or is there a healthy mix of younger trees and saplings? If not, I would select a handfull of select acorns and start a small nursery. Keep track of where each group came from. Oaks can have very subtle genetic variation reflecting local environments. Now bush practitioners 100 years from now will have acorns.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I should have said - I made up acorn biscotti at the start of the week. All gone now... I took some into work and offered them round - only one person refused to eat them point-blank (he's still miffed that I introduced him to durian). The rest pronounced them delicious.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Chris,

I have been to Thousands Oaks CA (got a relative that is estate manager for Tom Selleck and the acorns you have over there are massive compared to the ones in the UK. Don't know how this will affect your recipe's.

Christopher

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
OMG! I met your relative at The Hare and the Hound import shop! The Sellecks are lovely people and I have talked with both several times ( Jilly is prettier.) It really hurts to see this wonderfull foodsource reduced from dietary staple to something to be swept off the sidewalks ( paths over there?) I easily gather 55 gallons each crop. Most of that is packed into the countryside for the deer. There is no difference in recipes, but every oak species has a different flavour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE