Bamboo socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My wife went to eastbourne for the easter holidays (visiting her parents) and all I got was a pair of bamboo socks!

76% bamboo viscose, 23% polyamide, 1% elastane, according to the blurb. Made in Turkey, apparently.

Not really a bushy item, but comfy socks are always nice. They feel lovely and soft, and the label claims "extraordinary absorbency, super soft, odour resistant, natural UV protection"

The odour resistance would be handy :rolleyes:

Anybody got some of these? Are they any good?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Don't have the socks but have a bamboo t-shirt and base layer. Soft, comfortable, great at absorbing odours and wicks moisture reasonalbly well. Doesn't hold its shape too well but I guess that's not a problem with socks.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I got two pairs of bamboo socks from Aldi/Lidl. Wifey pinched one pair then promptly lost one of them. I now have three matching bamboo socks! They are a definite fave for any day when your feet are going to get hot.

Z

Balanophage

Apr 11, 2011
UK
www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk
Soft, cool, hardwearing but not particularly elastic. You can get bamboo yarns now to knit your own garments with, and (if you're really mad) Wingham Wool sell bamboo fibre so you can spin your own yarn. :) I doubt it's too good on the air miles but it's probably more environmentally friendly than viscose.

sakotrg

Aug 25, 2010
Aberdeen
Have several pairs of Bridgedales, a pair of Mountain Junky and some 'normal' Bamboo socks from Tkmax.
They are really comfy and highly recommended

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Correct me if I'm wrong but all they are is viscose made by converting bamboo. There should be very little difference between normal viscose and bamboo sourced viscose other than the source of the raw materials being more renewable. However if being strict what is the implications of distance travelled by these raw materials? So called AirMiles (more likely sea miles which is likely to be more carbon efficient per tonne of materials carried). Anyway isn't locally produced wool good enough if you want to be more ethical?

Sorry to be picky. Don't really fuss about it myself as I prefer to get the right gear for the job and for me. So far I haven't got any viscose from bamboo based gear but it is very much capable of doing what you need it to. BTW I think it is all carbonised anyway so is not really bamboo anymore.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Basically I think you are correct that bamboo is basically viscose. However it is organically grown, renewable and the treatment process is supposed to be fairly environmentally friendly. AFAIK one Chinese company processes all of the bamboo fabric manufacture. As for the air miles almost everything is made overseas nowadays so do I buy organic bamboo from overseas, merino wool or polyester microfibre or . . . ? Personally I have to buy what I can afford and what is available.

I have some bamboo leggings/long johns and I like them. They feel good and are comfortable. I think they are more breathable than polyester too. Got them cheap in TK Maxx

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I know but just making a point that it is the same as viscose from other sources as a material but only thing is the source. I do find it interesting that there are suddenly more viscose being used in socks these days. They are using the bamboo part of it as a marketing ploy to show how evironmental they are these days. Environmental issues has a habot pf being used by marketing types as a selling point. The viscose might have always been from bamboo but now the renewable aspect makes it an environmental marketing point. Cynical I know.

I'm with you Rebel, I get the best gear I can for the money I have to spend. That means a bit of careful shopping and research. For me the green credentials is secondary to getting what I need, I prefer to spend less money than get the ultimate green product at a premium.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You may well have a point there, few years ago I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear bamboo! Now its considered ethical the dropping of the viscose and rebranding as bamboo would increase sales....

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Those are fair points, although to be honest I bought them purely for the comfort and not for any environmental reasons. I have lots of wool socks already (and incidentally, most of the merino wool socks that we buy have their origins in antipodean sheep, and so have lots of air miles too)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Why buy Merino wool? You got soft feet that can't take anything but the softest of wools? Get some good old Herdwick on yer and toughen up man!!:D

Support those hill farmers and help create a more valuable market for their wool.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Why buy Merino wool? You got soft feet that can't take anything but the softest of wools? Get some good old Herdwick on yer and toughen up man!!:D

Support those hill farmers and help create a more valuable market for their wool.

I'm a Welshman, so its Welsh mountain wool for me! Herdwicks are good too though. Saw some at the smallholders show in Builth Wells on the weekend. I was speaking generally about merino, since it is always being advertised for technical clothing.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My most technical piece of wool based clothing was bought for me by my parents when I was at uni on a Greek Island. The best way to describe the jumper is icelandic style. It had that zigzag patterned ring around the neck that they have I think. Also it was very thick and tightly knitted. COmpletely windproof and the natural oils were still on the fibres. Just like a herdwick jumper.

Take aside the lack of fashion sense required to wear it the damn jumper was the best softshell I have ever owned or seen for winter conditions. It could handle everything from rain to snow to that claggy cloud/fog/mist you get in the hills. In fact the rough wool had loads of fine fibres on the surface that caught the moisture in the air from the clag but that didn't get beyond the surface. Even rain it coped with up to a point. We are talking a quick 5 minute heavy downpour was not a problem. Prolonged rain was also handled providing it was lighter. Amazing performance. That is without a membrane, nor taped seems.

Anyway it shows what a rough wool can cope with. BTW I am o longer a poor student so I wear Rab, Montane, Haglofs and the new Berghaus Asgard climbing jacket designed with Leo Houlding on his Asgard project climb!! I am probably an outdoors fashion victim now I can afford a bit better gear. However even my Rab VR jacket with hood can't cope as well with a wide range of difficult conditions!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What is the most common Welsh sheep then Harvetsman? Cumbria has the Herdwick and the swaledale too IIRC due to their truly tough character. Snowdonia is just as wet and wild so is there a sheep type for that area. The Plynlimon area is also pretty tough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE