Underwear and base layers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Seems unlikely that a base layer would "go up in smoke" as such. Mostly because even if it caught fire its close to the skin so you could pat the flames out quite easily. I know ive never heard of it happening at least.

And you'd prolly know its on fire cos its touching you ;p - be more worried about goretex or other teated fabrics when it comes to fire (no idea if goretex is bad for fire, but it melts easy.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
I didn't really research much on base layers before I bought them. I just got 1 long sleeved and 1 short sleeved Berghaus active and they are OK for my needs. Although sometimes I have noticed during heavy exertion that they don't wick as well as I should like. For boxers I almost bought some Smartwool boxers (being a lover of their socks) but I read many reviews saying because of the construction of them that they simply didn't last. So I got myself some of these from Under Armour. I know a lot of football and rugby lads use them so I tried them out and they are fantastic. When I'm out trekking all I take is my 2 pairs of these because they are dead easy to wash and dry in no time.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Wow cheers for the link. After underestimating the heat last time I was out hiking I couldn't help but gurn to myself about the cotton underwear I was wearing. I was hiking barechested because I was sweating buckets but my boxers soaked through and stayed sodden until I set up camp. Very uncomfotable. I wonder if it's something people quite forget about when they're thinking about breathable clothing? Definately going to have to pick up a couple of pairs.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
It only took me one experience of damp and stinky cotton grundies before I realised I just had to get some synthetic ones if I ever wanted to enter towns whilst hiking! Plus I like the ones with good elastic around the bottom of the leg, it makes a huge different when you're climbing uphill.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I wear a lightweight quick drying wicking shirt and boxer shorts when in the bush but I've always wondered whether they'd go up in flames one evening ( I walk around in my wet undies after a dip in a stream to cool off).

Unfortunately, they, being plastic, will melt and burn the skin horribly, rather than "simply burn".

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Seems unlikely that a base layer would "go up in smoke" as such. Mostly because even if it caught fire its close to the skin so you could pat the flames out quite easily. I know ive never heard of it happening at least.

And you'd prolly know its on fire cos its touching you ;p - be more worried about goretex or other teated fabrics when it comes to fire (no idea if goretex is bad for fire, but it melts easy.

I think it's more likely to be a problem if you're drying your spares in front of the fire, rather than when you're actually wearing them... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE