Help Unknown kit ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Hi all,

My old man has had this burner for a long time. I just discovered it not long back and havent been able to find out a sinlge thing about it.

sd1fg1.jpg

21mxbf6.jpg

vytcao.jpg

I havent used any type of meths/alcohol burner before so I am completley in the dark on this one.

The only writing on it is on the base of the burner itself and it says: THE IDEAL EXPRESS British Made.

There is also REGD NO 851606 on the base of the main can itself.

If anyone could shed any light on this item I would be most gratefull.

Many Thanks

Craig

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Blimen eck calibanzwei that was a quick reply, thanks mate.

Seems I may have an ok burner after it cleans up.

Has anybody used one of these before??? Just trying to find out if they are reliable now before I allocate space for it.

(LoL just noticed the quote Must be quite old then)

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Saw one o' these in use a couple o' w'ends ago on our monthly meet....DrJones has one.....took a while t' flare an' was a bugger t' put out....but boiled a trangia kettle in no time!...good find matey.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I've got one and use it with a kettle for picnics etc. They work ok, my only criticism is that the "gas" holes in the meths burner are a little too big and therefore not quite as efficient as it could be. You can still pick them up pretty cheap on ebay.

The little cup thing with a curved handle is the snuffer for the burner and also keeps everything in place when the lid is on. I have never found them hard to extinguish.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I had one almost the same 48 years ago.
I got it from a school friend for Two shillings and sixpence.
It runs on meths, I used to use it in my bedroom at night to make coffee.
In the daytime I had the camp fire over the garden fence on Epsom common.
Enjoy using it.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thanks for the input guys much appreciated,

Ill clean it up ( the rust is only surface) and give it a go next time I am out.

As I said I have never used or seen a meths burner being used so I need to find an idiots guide to using a meths burner:D

also afterwards I will probably have to regrow my facial hair

thanks
Craig

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
I carry loads of wooden drinks stirrers(sp?) and dip one end of one in the reservoir of meths, light with the zippo and insert into the res. Easier than the hit and hope method of trying to direct sparks from a firesteel :D

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
As I said I have never used or seen a meths burner being used so I need to find an idiots guide to using a meths burner:D

ok idiots guide:

Fill the large reservoir in the center of the burner about 2/3 full of meths.
Put the burner inside the windshield.
Light the meths (either drop a lit match into the well or use the technique below with a stick (dont worry about the match floating around it wont harm))
Be careful because it is hard to see the blue flame.
Wait a bit and flames will appear at side holes (like a gas ring)
Easy :coffee:

I would advise getting a trangia fuel bottle, won't split or leak and have a nice little valve on top that makes pouring the meths a lot easier.

:camping:

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
And make sure the flame is extinguished before refilling...

I know this sounds obvious but I don't think I'm the only one to make this mistake with a Trangia or similar.

Cheers,

Tom

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thanks guys that is a great help,

I am looking forward to trying this out now.

Just a quick question how long (roughly) would 1 fill of the reservoir give me in burning time??

Many thanks again

Craig

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Just a quick question how long (roughly) would 1 fill of the reservoir give me in burning time??

Difficult to say, depends on many things such as hole size of jets and thickness of metal of your particular burner. Also temperature of the fuel and air before starting.

I would say long enough to cook something or boil a kettle.

at a guess 15-20mins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE