Titanium quick question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hello all titanium junkies

Does anyone also know if titanium mugs can be used on a fire or will the heat of the embers damage the metal?

cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Titanium is fine over a fire I`ve been told. I`m taking my new Ti set out this weekend so it better be.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Nice one, thinking of getting the alpkit mytimug, as it doubles up as a pot to cook me noodles and a mug for me brew, only thing putting me off though is the £25 price tag :( I like it as it has a lid also.

Does anyone know of any military style S Steel mugs that have lids?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could make a lid for the steelys yourself if you`ve got any scrap ali kicking about.

Do a search for crusader lids and you should find something

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one, thinking of getting the alpkit mytimug, as it doubles up as a pot to cook me noodles and a mug for me brew, only thing putting me off though is the £25 price tag :( I like it as it has a lid also.

Does anyone know of any military style S Steel mugs that have lids?

The crusader does, but it does not come with it.

They are not too hard to make though, there has been some made by members on here.

Edit, Shewie beat me to it.:)

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Yeah. Ti kit is expensive, but I'm seriously considering the Alpkit MytiMug and MytiPot special offer. Mug for small trips, pot for larger and the pot lid as a frying pan for my bannock.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Just had a look at the crusader mug and lid combo, as far as i can see it works out at about £17 for the two, so for £8 more may as well go for the Titanium

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Just had a look at the crusader mug and lid combo, as far as i can see it works out at about £17 for the two, so for £8 more may as well go for the Titanium

If weight is an issue then Titanium would be much lighter. The crusader is bombproof, if a fair bit heavier.

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
The whole kit weighs 540 grams - that compares to 270 for just the crusader mug.

as for fireproof, I regularly use mine on a fire. I also recently successfully made bread in the inner pot with the outer pot as an oven over an open fire.

p1000770vk9.jpg

p1000771ym7.jpg

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Titanium mugs are great - trendy ( :rolleyes: ) and weight saving wise- they can be used direct on fire for digging holes etc BUT like all metal mugs have one fatal flaw- you burn your lips on them even if all you do is a normal brew up. :censored:

Actually, titanium is much better than stainless and miles better than aluminium in that respect. It conducts heat less well than either, so the edge of the mug/pot away from the heat source doesn't get so hot. I can brew up with my Alpkit mug on a pocket rocket and drink from it pretty well straight away with no probs. One of the main points of using the material in my opinion!

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Actually, titanium is much better than stainless and miles better than aluminium in that respect. It conducts heat less well than either, so the edge of the mug/pot away from the heat source doesn't get so hot. I can brew up with my Alpkit mug on a pocket rocket and drink from it pretty well straight away with no probs. One of the main points of using the material in my opinion!

Agreed, I find I can drink out my Ti mug with no problem.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
......BUT like all metal mugs have one fatal flaw- you burn your lips on them even if all you do is a normal brew up. :censored......

sign0032.gif

happy0123.gif

I have the Snow Peak Titanium 450 Twin Wall Mugs and the 450 Single Wall Mugs, neither of which cause burns. I'd heard this tale, and was cautious when first using the single wall mugs, which I preheat by filling with boiling water, prior to actually making a brew.

No distortion when brewing up in the single wall mug on a gas cylinder stove, I've not used it on an open fire yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE