Icebreaker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well what are your thoughts on Icebreaker gear?
Been looking at improving my winter kit and seen Icebreaker and Ulfotte but just got lured into Blacks an picked up the 260g body fit I.B for £32 down from £64.
Looks like a nice top that will do me for the bike as well as a bit of walking and snowboarding.
The only thing that I worry about, alot of underwear manufacturers insist on a half zip,great for ventilation but surely a possible site for chaffing?!?!?!
Anyway spur of the moment so I guess you will all tell me its crap now!!!
dave:lmao:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got a loose fitting "T" in may from mountain factor, in Ambleside, wore it for a couple of days walking in the lakes, and it did'nt smell, so did'nt wash it,then took it and wore it for 3 days on Hadrians wall again no smell. So did'nt wash it brilliant kit, however my wife has now washed it on principal, so it will probably fit action man.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I agree got to get the bargains when you see them even when skint!
In fact I swear I only see bargains when 'I can't really afford it!'
Dave

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I don't love it, it's OK but not great. Some of the stuff does look good so you can wear it in towns as well though.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Tis quite smart. Like I say could do with something like that for a bike trip next Easter could wear it out and about , room on the bike is always a bit tight so multi functional kit is a must.
Dave

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I spend each winter in icebreaker stuff since a good mate sent me some over as a gift from NZ.

I like that I don't smell in it, it doesn't just keep me warm, it actually regulates my temperature... it was awesome in a very dry -32C in finland and a very damp 5C in the UK.

In short, I can't fault it. expensive but real value for money.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I recently bought a pair of their light weight walking socks and think they are fantastic. They have plenty of cushioning around the foot, but are fairly thin up around the ankle. Great for summer and lighter hiking boots. My feet don't get nearly so hot in them as in my mid-weight Bridgedale. Very comfy and very well made.

I haven't found any of their gear at a reduction, so have bought my merrino from various sources, Chocolate Fish, Craghopper and Country Covers, but I am sold on the stuff for cooler weather. Its brilliant to sleep in compared to synthetics and the Icebreaker looks very nicely made.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use it quite a lot. I like Icebreaker stuff. I use it under my overalls at work
It keeps me warm when it's cold, and cool when it's hot.
once you try merino thermals you'll never go back to synthetics again.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have several tops and bottoms from Ice Breaker. I think this is the top end baselayer. I have 140, 190, 200 and 260g/m2 tops and 200 and 260 bottoms.

I think this fine merino wool is superior in every way to any other baselayer material available. It simply does not stink and for me it regulates moisture in a comfortable way rather than the super wicking poly junk that seems to chill me to the bone, and then attempt to kill me with stink.

Ice Breaker and Smart Wool baselayers are my number one choice. Expensive but compared to Pategonia plastic it is usually less expensive. I have some pieces going on 3 years old now and while a bit faded it is still holding up nicely.

EdS

have a look at Chocolatefish - they are UK based and their gear is still made in NZ (by Weft Industries the world leader in Merino weaving) rather than in China on a mass production line.

http://www.chocolatefishmerino.co.uk/

amanda that runs the company is very helpful - just be prepared to put 1/2 hour aside if you phone them!

There have been some major quality issues with Icebreaker since the move - pilling etc, to the point where they said to wash wit hdemin or similar hard material sot hat is removes the pilling.

From their website: (my bold)

Easy Care
We hope you will love your Icebreaker as much as we do. Icebreaker garments almost look after themselves as they don't hold moisture or odour. In fact, the known record for wearing an Icebreaker non-stop is 196 days in extreme conditions. Here are a few tips to get the best out of your Icebreaker.

Washing Instructions
Use warm or cool machine wash on normal cycle
Wash separately first (after 2/3 days use) to remove any loose fibres
Wash with like colours
Wash on a normal cycle with other hard fabrics to remove fluffing
Never use a fabric softener
Do not use detergents with bleach
Do not tumble dry - Dry flat in the shade or on the clothes line
Coastal and PurePlus garments are dry clean only

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I haven't worn Icebreaker, but I have a number of Merino garments by Howies that are outstanding, all made from finest NZ Merino.

I've got half-zip and round-neck fitted baselayers, medium weight layers and also some T-shirt style (not skin tight) baselayers.

As Squidders said, they are great in the cold, fantastic in the warm, wick away moisture like no-one's business and don't get rank like polypro does.

Although pricey compared to some, they normally have a warehouse clearout sale down here in London at least a couple of times a year where you can pick stuff up cheap.

The company also has brilliant ethics, and the're Welsh

http://www.howies.co.uk

I also have some ulfrotte, which is great stuff but wven the thinnest layer is still quite warming.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Never wear anything but icebreaker base layer stuff when out and about. Simply put I think it's fantastic, aulthough don't have any of their mid layer stuff (yet) and use fleece or ulfrotte top for this.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Bought some Icebreaker stuff last year for going to Everest base camp- half zip top- bodyfit 260, leggings and half zip 320 jumper. Also got other makes of base layer tops, and my personal favourite- Smartwool boxers- if I could afford more of them, they are all that I would ever wear!!!!!

Yes, they are expensive, but for me, the lack of pong after considerable use, their amazing temperature regulation ability (cool in the summer, warm in the winter) make them amazing value for money... not bought synthetic base layers since.

The only down side for me is my size- they are a bit too figure hugging, but that's the way they work best I suppose...:eek:

AB folks,

KP

The usual- no connection with Icebreaker, Merino sheep etc etc etc....:nutkick:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
It was the bodyfit 260 I bought. I have looked at chocolate fish stuff but always seem to get myself confused to which ones to get!! Look the biz though.
Bring on the winter....well not untill I have got matching trousers!
Dave

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
It was the bodyfit 260 I bought. I have looked at chocolate fish stuff but always seem to get myself confused to which ones to get!! Look the biz though.
Bring on the winter....well not untill I have got matching trousers!
Dave

I have that one, looks good, but I don't like it. Too hot in hot weather, and cold in the wind, or when sitting about.

I have a paramo reversible trail shirt which I think is a far superior garment, easy to control the temperature and blocks out the wind better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE