Icebreaker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I have that one, looks good, but I don't like it. Too hot in hot weather, and cold in the wind, or when sitting about.

I have a paramo reversible trail shirt which I think is a far superior garment, easy to control the temperature and blocks out the wind better.
But does your paramo wick sweat away from your body and keep you warm when you're wet? Does it start to stink after less than a week of use directly on your skin without washing? If yes, yes and no: I should get some paramo! But I doubt it?
These wool base layers aren't exactly meant to be used as an outer layer, and windproof usually isn't the best for a base layer unless there's some great new technology I've missed?
Anyway, I've been looking at some Icebreaker shirts for normal use, the designs sure make it an appealing alternative to my current cotton "city-shirts" so if I could ever stock them at an interesting price... I just love merino wool you know ;)
For outdoor use, and in fact everywhere when it's colder, I'm very happily using my Woolpower gear and I'll be buying some more when I get another chance to get it cheap. Their new liner socks also look very interesting for day to day use so I'll certainly try those out if I get the chance...

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Paramo do some nice gear I was looking at one of their shirts/coats yesterday. £50 ish I think
but I wouldn't wear the one I saw next to my skin. I am after a wind type shirt though but am still looking at the options. i have one of those Italian wool shirts from Endicotts and under £10 they are great.....do smell a bit funny when washed untill dry though???? Moth balls????
Dave

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Thought I'd post this up here - Howies have their sale on and they've just put the Merino stuff in it.

Long sleeve baselayers, with or without a half zip, and some heavier weight stuff as well..

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Re the Chocolate Fish stuff. I was looking at undercrackers and I see their idea of XXL is 35"!
I thought shirley shum mishtake but no, they confirm that the sizes on the site are correct.
I was a size 36 waist when I was a fit 20 something but now...
Choccy fish for racing snakes only it seems.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
To add to the woolen base layer confusion I can really recommend devold of norway. Really good stuff. Used the expedition models alot on spitsbergen, and the thinner models are the best I've tried for summer, spring and autumn use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE