protected wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok Im being lazy(and not doing a google search) and just want to know what it entails a protected wood?
I know you have to have permission to cut down a tree but what other restrictions are there and how does a wood become protected!?
Also how come some developers are seemingly getting planning permission for woodland? (Whats happening with the Mear Hills Staffordshire?)
Finally what constitutes a temporary structure and is it applicable to private woods?
Ie are you 'allowed' to erect a temp structure and do you have to have planning?
Would a hide constitute a temp structure?
What about a building on wheels? :lmao:
Thanks thought it may be an interesting topic.
Dave

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
If it's a woodland with a Tree Preservation Order [tpo] on it means that it is illegal to cut any tree within that woodland, regardless of it's size. It can be argued that cutting hazel as part of a cycle should be permitted, if one thinks of hazel as a shrub.

It could also be a Site of special scientific interest [SSSI] or Nature reserve [NR] or a Local Nature reserve [LNR] which all have sorts of protection on them.

Since it's complicated and no one size fits all, the best course of action would be to contact the Tree Officer in Shropshire C Council for the definitive word on your bit of wood

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks Don not my wood a guy I knows........Missus wont let me have a wood unless I save up my 'own money'! Not alot of hope there me thinks :lmao:
Trying to find somewhere to play......... How do you ask someone if you can 'use their woods?
What is the answer when they say what for and why do you want a fire etc?
Cant think of how to put it without sounding like a 10yr old piromaniac! :rolleyes:
Anyway ta for suggestions as usual D

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
tommy the cat said:
Ok Im being lazy(and not doing a google search) and just want to know what it entails a protected wood?
I know you have to have permission to cut down a tree but what other restrictions are there and how does a wood become protected!?
Also how come some developers are seemingly getting planning permission for woodland? (Whats happening with the Mear Hills Staffordshire?)
Finally what constitutes a temporary structure and is it applicable to private woods?
Ie are you 'allowed' to erect a temp structure and do you have to have planning?
Would a hide constitute a temp structure?
What about a building on wheels? :lmao:
Thanks thought it may be an interesting topic.
Dave

Ok lots of questions and for one time only I will put on my work hat!! (Chartered town planner)

Trees can be subject to a tree preservation order either inividually or group. This gives special protection and means that the landowner should apply for consent to the Council for any works to the tree including pruning and if they dont they can be prosecuted. Similar protection is automatically given to trees in conservation areas.

To qualify for a TPO the trees must be healthy, good specimens and importantly of public amenity value. When an order is placed on a tree the landowner has a right of appeal against the order.

Whilst planners get a bad name I can identify over 50 trees I have protected from felling in the last few years. I have learnt from experience that if 'some' developers think a tree may affect their plans the tree will be gone by morning :cussing:

There is also separate legislation on the amount of timber you can harvest from a wood in a year without a licence- I think some Arb experts best comment on that!

By getting planning permission for woodland I presume you mean building in woodland. It can happen in specific circumstances, but is rare and depends on all of the local policies being met regarding local housing.

Sometimes there is a balance to be made - for example if there is an area of woodland that has been unmanaged and neglected for decades there can be a balance of allowing a house resulting in the loss of poor trees on condition of securing a full management plan into the future for the majority of the wood which improves the wood and the habitats it supports.

Temporary stucture means it can and is designed to be moved however this is a vast area of case law and I dont think I can summarise all on here - seek advice from your local council (anyone still awake??)

This is only a quick skim over some complex issues. I hope it has helped abit!

paulcd

Tenderfoot
It doesn't matter how big the wood is in one's ownership. but you can only cut down 2 cubic metres in any one quarter year if you are selling the timber, 5 cubic metres if using on site. Anything more than this requires a felling licence from the forestry commission..not hard to get if you know what you are doing (developers know all the loopholes, we just have to stay a step ahead of them, so well done Ailwren)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
If someone buys a woodland and want to put, say a yurt in there and live there, what are the legalities of this? Not me, by the way, can't afford a woodland :( . I was talking to some friends who are into buying houses to make money, a while back and they thought it's possible to do this because there is no permanant structures the "council" can't do anything about it.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
he landowner has a right of appeal against the order.

no he does'nt.

He may apply within 6 weeks of confirmation to the High Court, but only if there is an argument that the method/system is flawed or has not been proceeded with properly [but not the reasons why the order itself was made]

He may object but if it's confirmed he may apply to fell/do work and then if he's turned down, he may then appeal via the Planning Inspectorate

[check the Blue Book]

whoops getting a bit OT here...... but rest assured that it's right to describe the situation as 'complex'

One thing is sure though... designations such as TPO's and the like should not hinder the correct management of a woodland...with the emphasis on the 'correct'

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks Guys, Some great info there and as usual tooo complicated an issue to discuss in a few paragraphs!
'importantly of public amenity value' how's that decided then?
Anyway I think we would probably all agree that many of the rules are of great importance as our woods are diminishing. Just a shame that we cant do more to 'make' woodland owners to look after their woods properly.
Dave
Ps Still how do you ask permission to play in the woods!! :eek:

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Ps Still how do you ask permission to play in the woods!!

probably the best way is to find the owner, offer to help him with some work [fencing, weeding etc etc] in return for a couple of nights access. Build up a relationship and you might end up being their 'ranger' keeping an eye on the place for them.

Just pitching up and asking might work, but I doubt it.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
20 foot steel shipping container, dropped off the Hiab lift on the back of a truck, Bosh.

Move it sir? No problem :)

Its what all the builders use for tool storage, site offices, generator covers and is there to contain the tools used by the people who manage the woodland ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE