irish meetup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
This has been talked about before. I have no special outdoor skill but I would be intrested in getting out for the weekend. I hope something will come of this.
Tony

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep it has been talked about before and unfortunatly due to one think and another it has not come about. But after attending the Wilderness Gathering this weekend I have been enlightened to the possibilities this type of social gathering would have for bushcraft in Ireland both North and South.

The "Field of Dreams" quote comes to mind "If you build it they will come". If we find a venue and set a date people will come even if it's only ten people that's ten more then none.

So what do we need from this venue. A field with running water at a reasonable price and the possiblity of lighting at least one fire. Access to a wood would be nice but not nessacary. Also a central location would be good. Myself and Adam have agreed to look for location to get things started and will hopefully have something by the end of the month, but if someone already knowns of a possible site do post it here or PM me and we can get things rolling.

I would like to have one meet up before the end of 2006 at the least.

James

peterkm

Nov 24, 2004
BELFAST
Hi James, Tony and Adam,
This idea has been discussed on this forum and another. There are a number of 'silent' members (like myself) who would love to attend.

Peter

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
First All Peter don't be silent get stuck in. :D

Second and Adam can correct me on this but it's not directly linked to BCUK like alot of the other regional meet ups and so open to anyone.

At present it is simple a venue and we hope to have something soon but if you known of a site please posted and we will have a look. What I plan to do is do a PM and send it too all the Irish members as well as post the info here and it will be a come as you are type thing with a few item organised to help get the ball rolling.

Watch this space but as I said if you have any ideas please don't keep them too yourself.

James

Kiamyr

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2005
Western Europe
Hi,

I'm from Meath myself. Only started reading on a few things in the last few weeks, so obviously wouldn't be able to attend anything like this. Just wondering where do you people get materials/advice etc?

Thanks.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
First off all welcome and second this is not an advance members meet up this will be for anyone that enjoys any aspect of bushcraft. There is some many skills that make up the craft all we are all learning something all the time.

The idea behind this meetup is simple to meet up with like minded people,to learn some new skills and share some that you might have yourself, but most off all to have fun.

We hope to have some details soon but it looks like it might not be until earlier next year (not that far away really).

An idea for anyone that is interested is to post on this thread so I can PM you the details as we get them it will also help to give us numbers. Currently it's around ten interested people but I am sure that there are more members out there lurking around.

Talk too you all soon.

James

Ciaopaddy

Sep 27, 2005
Co.Galway
Howdy, been lurking here on and off a few months and thought I may as well join. I'm interested in bushcraft but haven't yet practised any.

As regards a site, I can think of at least one by Lough Mask in Galway where I occasionally go camping myself. It's easy enough to find, about an hour from Galway city. Head out from Ballinrobe towards Westport, turn left at Partry, then left again for the Lough Mask scenic drive. Erm, I've just forgotten whether it's before or after Tourmakeady, but it's signposted on the left, just before a right-hand corner, as a picnic spot. Close the gate, drive down a quarter of a mile and you're at a fantastic location right on the lake.
I think it's commonage, there's evidence of several open campfires and sometimes campervans pull in but there's tons of room for everyone, literally a mile or two along the lake front and cars can't get very far. Not much wood tho, and no tapwater, so this is just a suggestion.

I also know some other better places nearby, but you'd have to ask permission from the nearest houses to try and get the key for the gates thru. If you explain you're not out partying and thrashing the place, and clean up behind (standard bushcraft stuff I know) you should be ok. I'm unsure as to whether it's actually private land or not., but I reckon the main reason they lock the gates is to protect their fishing boats.

Hth,
Paddy.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi Loz,

There was one in May or June up the North which I unfortunatly was unable to attend but it was enjoyed by all that did make I believe. I am not sure the organisers of that meeting are planning another one do.

I hope to get out some time in the next few weeks (once the kitchen is finished) so if you what I can PM you before I go encase your free.

James

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I'd be interested in attending if and when, didn't know about the last meet but i would certainly attend if i was available.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
Having attended the last (and first) meet-up I can say it was a success. However, I think if one is organised again, there would need to be some sort of a programme, i.e friction fire-lighting, shelter building etc. If there isn't a set plan, then the group can fragment as people go off and do there own thing which defeats the purpose of it being a group.

It's very difficult getting a date and place that suits everyone and even then people won't turn up for one reason or another. I think eight people had signed up for the last one and only three could make it. In my opinion it's best someone picks a date if three or more can go then run with that.

That's my tupence worth.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi,

As Sodajoe said, the last one was a success although I couldn't stay as long as I wanted to. The hard bit is getting a date that most agree on, so picking a date you can get a location for is probably the best bet. It would be great to meet up again though :D

Brian

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
jamesdevine said:
Hi Loz,

There was one in May or June up the North which I unfortunatly was unable to attend but it was enjoyed by all that did make I believe. I am not sure the organisers of that meeting are planning another one do.

I hope to get out some time in the next few weeks (once the kitchen is finished) so if you what I can PM you before I go encase your free.

James

Sure James would be cool, where do you normally go ?

Oct 9, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Hi All,

I just did the Bushcraft course in CELT, Co. Clare http://www.celtnet.org/index.html

So it has re-sparked my interest in the outdoors again. The course is very theoretical and not so practial but the guy who gives it certainly knows the skills through personal experience.

Please add me to any dist list for a weekend meetup.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE