Hidden bushcraft shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Hello everyone , today I'd like to share progress on my hidden bushcraft shelter , I wanted a good long term shelter since I got involved in bushcraft 5-6 years ago.
Since I don't have access to my mountain house any more , I had to make it near the city , the main goal being it to be hidden from all the people that hike there , hope you like it and all advices are welcome from you dear friends

heres how I started making the roof

Here's how i dig the hole

God bless and have a nice day
Nick

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thank you. Good beginning for a winter pit house in Western Canada.
Good dog to help you dig! You will be warm and dry.
Cree First Nation pit houses could be 2m deep x 8+m diameter, 60cm soil over log roof.

Reactions: Gcckoka

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I like that. Maybe dig a gutter behind the shelter to channel rain water around it.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think you will get problems with entering water.

Pay attention, that it doesn't work like a mouse trap and break you the neck.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
With Wall and trench you can protect it a bit. But in heavy rain water could enter through the hill in your room. That depends of the sort of earth you have there.

I recommend to put some floorboards in the room, that you come off the ground, and to dig a trench to drain the ground of the shelter.

But perhaps it stays dry how it is.
You will see it.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Please tell us if it stays dry.
I think it will rain through the earth in the room, if there isn't something else in between.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Please tell us if it stays dry.
I think it will rain through the earth in the room, if there isn't something else in between.
I dont plan to go there in heavy rain but I was there in rain , covered it with small amount of debris and was kept bone dry , it rained for 2ish hours and again I have the same concern that it will leak in heavy rain but I wont go in heavy rain and thats it :)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
OK, I understand!

Different areas, different thoughts.

I never could construct a house like this in Germany, because even in the nicest days it can suddenly in the evening start to rain horribly, and you never know it before.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
OK, I understand!

Different areas, different thoughts.

I never could construct a house like this in Germany, because even in the nicest days it can suddenly in the evening start to rain horribly, and you never know it before.
You should try living outdoors in Scotland or Ireland, this rare bout of sunshine is keeping the rain at bay.
Thanks for sharing the vids, good effort keep up the posts.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've been in the city long enough this time to ask some FN elders about the pit house at UNBC.
They say no, it's just imagination that they get wet inside. No need to do any guessing.
They don't even get damp. The central house fire under 60cm soil with grass growing on top is a good roof.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The original article showed several pictures of the inside. It's about 2m deep and 8m in diameter. Fairly typical size.
Some in the south had an entry from the top center with a ladder. Most in the west and north used a side entrance with steps.
The wooden log roof is always supported by 4 vertical posts which represent the 4 corners of the world.
To me, the logs look like 20-40 cm diameters (not very big). Just laid tight, side by side.

When you visit an ancient village site, the house pits hardly seem knee deep.
That's because the logs rotted and the whole thick earth roof fell into the house pit.
I guess they dug new ones or excavated the house pits.

Wanuskewin was occupied for 6,000 years, fabulous site protected from bad weather.
That place is Aspen Parkland biogeoclimatic zone. With range fires, the logs from regeneration
would have been very skinny. Like the logs used by the Ukranian immigrants for their farm buildings.

Gcckoka has good logs for the roof of his pit house. Should support a thick soil load.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That means, there is only one layer of round logs, and without anything in between directly 60 cm of soil on it?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE