Lamb roast BushMoot 2018

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Plan the soup/stew of leftovers first. All the veg & seasonings.
Got a cauldron to cook that in?

For a spit to do haunches of beef, we use a 2x2 square pole of wood.
That way, you can rotate the beast 1/4 turn with little effort.
You cover all of the exposed wood with aluminum foil so it does not burn.
Aluminium foil will work just as well. Get the heavy duty thickness, if you can.

I lived in a summer lakeside resort village. We did 50 - 70 kg beef roast = "Beef On A Bun"
as a community fund raiser. Salads and spuds. 250? tickets?
Big dance on the tennis court to finish up. Helped on the BBQ for a decade before I left.

Got seasonings worked out? Got a basting liquid planned?

Lamb should make really greasy jerky, even worse if any is made into biltong.
Opposite ends of the fat scale from game, even beef. I'd pass on even a taste.

If I win our lottery tonight, I'll be over for a visit and a feast.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Lamb jerky.... that sounds like a fine idea
asked some of the peeps on here about lamb jerky... seems we can make jerky with the lean cuts, but better to roast the fattier parts as the fat goes rancid if jerkied (is that a word?)

So, i'm up for getting that lamb with you guys whether we have a lot of people or just a few... now where did that "drool" icon go?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I'm happy to bung £10 in. Not on here often, will need reminding to get the pole if required. It has a large cog on one end with a bicycle crank for turning.

I also have the frame but it's not feasible to bring it with me as it I have no van. It's electrically powered (the pole) from a 12v motor.

This pole is BIG. 2.5m stainless steel with pointy end. It's about 23mm thick. It can take about half a ton of weight on it spread across it. You could easily feed the entire moot with a big enough carcass.

I'll be down Friday through Tuesday.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Looks like we are having lamb over the middle weekend then folks.
Still need a few more to commit. If there is not a big take up for a whole lamb, maybe we go for a half or a few legs.

Reactions: boubindica

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
In an earlier epoch, I went to a hogg roast (hogg: gerrit? arf) at a farm in North Devon, where they speared the carcass and we drank cider and took it in turns to rotate the pole and tell the one bloke who actually knew what he was doing when the fire appeared to need wood so he could ignore us because of course it was actually fine. Hacked slabs off it and wolfed them, with home made bread and more cider. Mouth watering just thinking about it, so count me in, please!

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
**UPDATE** Due to Kim getting a new Job and moving up in the world, She will not now be able to make it to the Moot. As she was 25% of the confirmed numbers I have to wonder if this is still a runner ??

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
With Kim pulling out of the Moot, been a bit down in the dumps. Just needed a kick to start to see if this is a runner. Will start a new thread as a place to add names and see if this will actually run.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
With Kim pulling out of the Moot, been a bit down in the dumps. Just needed a kick to start to see if this is a runner. Will start a new thread as a place to add names and see if this will actually run.
Awww, don't be sad HM. You'll have a great time! I'll look out for the new thread. It's also cool if you decide not to go with the lamb thing too...

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Never found the new thread... I completely forgot to grab the bar, but we can knock one up out of wood if we're still going ahead with it!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE