Which is bigger please, the British Issue Utility Pouch or Water Bottle Pouch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Hello chaps, I have a question that hopefully somebody may be able to answer.
Which is larger, the British Issue Utility Pouch or the British Issue Water Bottle Pouch?

Any answers experienced in these pouches would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
IIRC the water bottle one is larger, will double check this evening if no one else replies first. I assume you mean Osprey Mk4 ones ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Discernible difference? None. WB, UGL, Utility and LMG all the same there or there abouts. The difference is the snow lock on the utilities are a right PITA.

There are considerable differences Utility pouch is the smallest, the Water bottle pouch is deeper that is to say sticks out more, the UGL is taller and dept more than Utility but less than Water bottle. It all depends what you want to put in them, the UGL will hold my digital SLR, the Utility will not but it will hold a trangia mess tin or a spare lens, or a Nalgene bottle (just). Water bottle will presumably hold an Osprey Water Bottle.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
There are considerable differences Utility pouch is the smallest, the Water bottle pouch is deeper that is to say sticks out more, the UGL is taller and dept more than Utility but less than Water bottle. It all depends what you want to put in them, the UGL will hold my digital SLR, the Utility will not but it will hold a trangia mess tin or a spare lens, or a Nalgene bottle (just). Water bottle will presumably hold an Osprey Water Bottle.

Considerable? No. I sell them for a living. There are millimetres of difference. If you say that is considerable, then yes you are correct.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Considerable? No. I sell them for a living. There are millimetres of difference. If you say that is considerable, then yes you are correct.

It is a difference that is very clear to the eye, and those millimetres add up when you consider the total volume and what will and will not fit in. It is enough of a difference as I said to ensure that my digital SLR will not fit in a Utility pouch but will fit in either Water Bottle or UGL pouch as what allows that is the ability to conform to the shape by fitting round the sides.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thank you Leaky5, Widu13 and Laurentius, I'm glad about the answer as I've got another three coming from Ebay. I'm using them to hold 1.3 litre tupaware boxes from Asda to hold articles of equipment, like pocket torches, whistles, button compasses, travel plugs, suntan and mosquito lotion etc.. to the Tourists and Travellers in India. I will be a bit like a traveling shop/spiv selling articles needed to the tourist visitors.

I took a chance and ordered the pouches last night and was then was worried that I had overlooked a larger sized issue belt kit pouch.

The Water bottle pouches are Desert DPM MOLLE attached and I shall be painting over the darker patches with acrylic white/tan paint to lighten and make a whole kakhi colour belt kit.

Cheers all and thanks.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Yes, the Desert DPM pouches arrived today. The Water Bottle Pouches are 44 cm's circumference and the smaller utility pouches are 40 cm's in circumference.

So a 4 cm's or 1.5 inches difference in the Water Bottle Pouch and the Utility Pouch.

The Water Bottle Pouch holds the 1.3 litre Asda tupaware box nicely and the tupaware box no where near fits into the Utility pouch.

I do wonder what the litre'age of the Utility pouches actually are.

Thanks all,
Cheers.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE