Snowdonia - things to do bushcraft wise?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
Hello All,

I am heading to Snowdonia in a few days. Capel Curig way.
Does anyone know of any good woods to overnight in? Or to avoid?
I was going to try the woods NW of Betwys y Coed.

Any other recommendations? Unique to the area? Trees? Fungus?

Thanks.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Snowdonia is a great place to camp, technically you need land owners permission anywhere in England and Wales, so its unlikley you'll get specific locations from anyone; but Snowdonia tends to be an area where camping is tolerated for sensible and respectful campers, the usual rules apply, stay well away from farm land, houses, foot paths and public areas like car parks, and popular tourist spots

(ie go see the views, then get an hours walk away before thinking about finding a spot to pitch p)

There is plenty of beautiful woodland across the whole of Snowdonia, if you go higher up the fells be very aware that weather can change in minutes, if the cloud drops or visibility drops, just stop and wait for it to clear up, esp if walking across/near scree slopes (slate)

Have fun :) no shortage of beautiful places to sleep under the stars out there even if no one will give you a specific location ;)

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Gwydir Forest SW of Betwys Y Coed is good - Also a little further South is Coed Y Brenin which is a lovely forest that also has a bothy too (Penrhos). If your into the hills, Aran overlooking Bala lake is very nice indeed. There's simply loads of places around the area - have a great time ;-)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its a fantastic area with some beautiful woods. A nice walk from Capel Curig is a walk up Moel Siabod, the ruins are worth looking at

[video=youtube;SljRj1qKYyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SljRj1qKYyo[/video]

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Gwydir Forest SW of Betwys Y Coed is good - Also a little further South is Coed Y Brenin which is a lovely forest that also has a bothy too (Penrhos). If your into the hills, Aran overlooking Bala lake is very nice indeed. There's simply loads of places around the area - have a great time ;-)

+ 1 for a bit further south, away from the Snowdon range and into the Rhinogs and then the Arans (sps? Sorry, no map at work). There are lots of lovely little "lost" valleys well off the beaten track that offer discrete cover for the circumspect bivvier or hammocker.

But I definitely didn't say any of that.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
Get yourself up Y Garn.
Plenty of places between there and Capel Curig. As you go from Curig to Betws you will see plenty of woods and I imagine if you get there late/leave early then you'll be fine. Especially this time of year.
Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabbit leg

Forager
Nov 9, 2016
UK and world
Thanks for the replies. Here now. I know the area quite well. Hiked and camped here a lot. But this will be the first trip with bushcraft in mind.
Coed y Brenin would have been my first choice. Only problem is finding a secure place to leave the car. Done a lot of biking there. Same for SW B y Coed, Penmachno.
Y Garn has no water or trees. And the wind is heaving at the moment.
Moal Siabod has that quarry/lake near the ruins. There is a ledge above the water but I think I will save that for a summer bivi.

I've been looking at the forest north of Moel Siabod but I am not sure if it will be full of students from the mountain school, doing map reading.

I went to a shop in Llanberis which sells axes, knives, Buffalo, Fjall Raven etc.

I am really looking for anything in the area that would be interesting bushcraft wise. As mentioned above, there is the shop. The Snowdon Lilly flower is rare - if I find one, can I eat it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE