A cheap watch with a loud alarm?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
I might be after something impossible, but someone might know....

For Christmas I was given a digital watch, a near replacement for one that I had had for many years and had become increasingly battered. The big difference is that the alarm seems much much quieter, so much so that I've missed the morning alarm entirely some days - luckily I have a dog/wife combo as backup!

However, if I'm away on a trip and need to catch a train, or working away where being late will let colleagues down etc I think I need a more reliable prompt.

I'm looking for cheap (under £25?), loud alarm and fairly robust - illumination and other features would be a bonus.

By the way, I possess a phone and I could use that, but I just want a simple watch for this purpose. Any ideas? Thanks

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd say go into Argos or another entry level jewelry shop and ask to look as some of the starting point watches like a Casio. I have one which is about the £10 mark, doesn't do much, but the alarm is loud and at £10 if I batter it off a rock by mistake its not a problem.
The last digital watch I bough that was titanium with all the whistles and bells you could hardly hear with your ear to the face. The waterproof to huge depths made the alarm very quiet, so a cheapy was the way to go.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funnily enough I was just about to recommend a Casio. I have one that's been my working watch for the past fifteen years, and it's still going strong. The straps have been replaced twice, it's looking a bit scruffy, but giving the amount of use it's had it was a real bargain at £9.95 from Argos :D

M

mylofitz

Apr 19, 2012
Cheshire
I've a Gshock and it's too quiet. Imagine the shock and waterproofing deadens the sound. Also taking the watch off and alloying it to resonate on a table will be much louder than if you sleep with it on your wrist. The Casio F-91W is your cheapest bet.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've always used a timex since the alarms on them were always louder than a casio, better display too with larger numbers. Check these too out;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timex-Ironm...F8&qid=1453451917&sr=8-4&keywords=timex+shock

^^ A very good and rugged watch, one like this lasted me 8 years and would probably still if if i put a new battery in.

Timex also do a vibrating alarm watch, which shakes when the alarm goes off so that even if you don't hear it you feel it, an excellent idea in my opinion. Never tried one though, but worth a look;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timex-Exped...1&sr=8-1&keywords=timex+vibration+alarm+watch

Tonyuk

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I've always used a timex since the alarms on them were always louder than a casio, better display too with larger numbers. Check these too out;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timex-Ironm...F8&qid=1453451917&sr=8-4&keywords=timex+shock

^^ A very good and rugged watch, one like this lasted me 8 years and would probably still if if i put a new battery in.

Timex also do a vibrating alarm watch, which shakes when the alarm goes off so that even if you don't hear it you feel it, an excellent idea in my opinion. Never tried one though, but worth a look;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timex-Exped...1&sr=8-1&keywords=timex+vibration+alarm+watch

Tonyuk

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Loads of good thoughts, thank you all. As it happens, both the old and new were Casio, and the old one also had a vibro alarm too. It all helps, so much appreciated!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
…bit of a 'daft' question, but you have turned the volume up to max ?

I didn't realise mine had an adjustable thing until it needed a new battery and I couldn't hear the alarm any more. Went clicking through buttons and found the volume control :eek:

M

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Mary, I've read the instructions and there doesn't seem to be any volume option. I'll read it again, though...

ID, you're probably right that age is taking it's toll, but my new watch is quieter nonetheless. Perhaps an ear trumpet might be a better solution, but have pity on me as I sink into decrepitude!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Potboiler, mine's truly ancient now.
It's certainly loud though. I have to mind to turn it off otherwise when I get back home the alarm wakes up everyone in the house :eek:

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mylo said about laying the watch on an alloy table to make it louder. Another trick is to put it in either a plate/bowl which will act like a paranoid dish and amplify the sound or a mug/jar/can and that will act as a resonance chamber. All will amplify the sound. You can do the same with your phone as you said you had one.
Always thought the watch in In Like Flint/Our Man Flint movies (that they copied in one of the Bond movies) with the little oscillilating paddle that comes out to restart his wrist pulse/heart would be a cool thing.
Anyway most folks have some sort of kettle/bowl/pot that they can put their watch/phone into so as to make more noise.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

marra33

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
Cumbria lake district
it costs a bit more, but it has never ever let me down.....
I use the silent vibrate alarm on my fitbit, I am a complete convert to using the fitbit, and the silent alarm is brilliant !!, I am a heavy sleeper, so much so, that I was taken off the emergency fire response team many years ago in another life, cos I slept through a couple of fire alarms....
but the fitbit wakes me up every single morning, and the best bit is, is ONLY wakes me up, the wife is still sound asleep when I get up
bonus all round, but they are not to cheap, if you are thinking of it, go for the fitbit HR

comening

Feb 21, 2016
GA
In general, experience has shown that most of CASIO's loudest watch models have been vintage models (made 10 years ago or more), with some not even being G-Shocks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE