Recommend a lightweight ponch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
It's a pretty decent sized shelter too though innit. I love my hammock but sometimes I do think I could lighten the load if I went back too kipping on floor

Aye big enough. Ground sleeping is lighter as you say, not a patch on the comfort of a hammock though :).

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
Can I please ask a question re the Tenth Wonder poncho: does it have a "fixed" opening for your head to go through, or does it have any zip/velcro opening at the neck (the DD one seems to have it), to allow those of us blessed us with big heads to put it on?
I am asking because I bought another 'brand' poncho a few months back and had to send it back - as it had a fixed head/neck opening, and my head would not go through... :-(

seg

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
There is also the GoLite Poncho Tarp that seems popular, bit more expensive but also over half the weight at 210g

There is also the SMD Gatewood Cape a LOT more expensive but if you plan on using the tarp for a shelter it might be worth looking at.

The equinoxltd Ultralite Poncho with extension seemed popular for a while.

Keep revisiting Poncho's as they seem like a great idea, i just can't seem to get them to work for me with the activities i do though :(

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Can I please ask a question re the Tenth Wonder poncho: does it have a "fixed" opening for your head to go through, or does it have any zip/velcro opening at the neck (the DD one seems to have it), to allow those of us blessed us with big heads to put it on?
I am asking because I bought another 'brand' poncho a few months back and had to send it back - as it had a fixed head/neck opening, and my head would not go through... :-(

seg

It has a velcro fastening, you won't have any problems getting your head through. I take a 62.5cm in a Tilley hat if that helps (in other words I have a mahoosive head :)).

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Keep revisiting Poncho's as they seem like a great idea, i just can't seem to get them to work for me with the activities i do though :(

I really like them for lowland stuff but I do kind of fear using them for hill walking, I can just imagine a steep drop-off and a strong gust of wind...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE