This is just disgusting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
my local tip is amazing, they take anything

Perhaps your council has woken up. Does it matter if you come in with a commercial vehicle? Or if you have stuff on a roof rack?

Have had issues here with turning up in a van when clearing out my student flat. Turn up to be told you can only bring high vehicles in on Wednesdays. That's no flipping use to me, I've only hired the van today!

Julia

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oakleaf you won't set me off on this; rights come with responsibilities and folks who fly tip or leave their rubbish behind are irresponsible. Problem is; how to deal with that. They know they shouldn't do it, they simply don't care.
So, either it gets left and folks like us fulminate and clear up.
Or the council slowly, slowly, gets round to clearing it.
Or heavy duty 'policing' comes into force that financially penalises the cretins.
Or we change society's attitude entirely to littering.
Or, we agitate until there are ample disposal skips......but then there's the whole other can of worms of irresponsible disposal of things like asbestos, old fridges, old car oil, old batteries, etc.,

No easy answer. Don't Do It !!! campaign maybe ?

Our local recycling depots are brilliant, they will take everything, so long as you sort it, but you need a car or van to get there, or one free uplift a year and £35 for every other one.

M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't use FB but I can guess where it is, the council should block off that road for vehicular access, restrict it to the limited number of residents who live down there instead.

There's too many people with no respect for the countryside, if we want to preserve these place then we have to make access difficult. For those who actually want to enjoy time in that location then they can take a walk, it's worked in other places.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I don't use FB but I can guess where it is, the council should block off that road for vehicular access, restrict it to the limited number of residents who live down there instead.

There's too many people with no respect for the countryside, if we want to preserve these place then we have to make access difficult. For those who actually want to enjoy time in that location then they can take a walk, it's worked in other places.

To a point. I've read on these pages and elsewhere that the summit of UK's 2nd highest mountain, Ben Macdui, bears a more than passing resemblance to a public midden.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Rights do not depend on responsibilities, this is the argument of those who want ever more restrictions. I have no problem with enforcement of regulations, prosecuting fly-tippers etc. Out with my dog yesterday and I picked up a mess from someone else's dog that was right in the middle of the footpath and it would have been good if that dog's owner was reported and punished but there is no way that I would want to see any more restrictions on where I may take my dog, camp, walk, kayak etc.

That particular case quoted by the OP might have some domestic troubles behind it, forced to go camping, quarrelling about looking after the kids and so on are all possibilities. Not an excuse of course but not something to have more restrictions on access.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Whilst I tread with extreme caution at pondering any American model ( ;) ) you start to see merit in some of their park regulations - very strict environmental rules for all, prohibition on some items, controlled access numbers - but with disposal facilities to help compliance; with manpower to enforce - all funded from minimal or zero access fee and very hefty compulsory fines for transgression.

That's not as universal over here as you might think. There are loads of differences between the US Parks and each the various State Parks. And none of them are quite the panacea you seem to think, we have our problems as well. Not so much with litter per se, but other illegal uses (the larger Parks and Forests have an ongoing problem with illicit commercial marijuana farms (which are usually booby trapped) And our problems are caused by most of the same reasons y'alls are; i.e. lack of funds and manpower for enforcement.

That said, enforcement here usually does occur when there's sufficient public outcry to justify the funds necessary. In other words, if people don't complain, it must not be a problem; if they do complain, then yes, there's a problem.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
You weren't by any chance the person I exchanged grumbles with, were you? I saw that yesterday too and a couple of us had a good old grumble. I'm female, short, fat, old and have long white hair.

Haha, I don't think so, I had a young brown pointer with me....probably being naughty!

One of the worst is East Dundry Lane, its sometimes impassable with the amount of fly tipping that goes on there. A lovely lane with beautiful views of the Mendips and people use it as a public tip.....I just can't understand it!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
It amazes me the lengths some people would go to to fly tip rather than dispose at a civic amenity site. I was waling in the Savernake forest a couple of months ago when several hundred yards up a track I noticed that someone had dumped a old-style heavywight desktop PC and monitor. The track was blocked for vehicular access and was probably impassable to most vehicles anyway, so they must have had to carry it for at least quarter of a mile to dump it and it must have weighed a ton by the looks of it as it was proper old-school kit! Crazy.

I used to live in a very small village with a narrow track leading to my house and a couple of others. Someone backed a tipper truck up the lane one day and tipped about 4tons of soil in the lane completely blocking it, myself and a neighbour had to dig our selves out so as the lane was passable again!

paulh

Jun 25, 2014
Bristol
Rights do not depend on responsibilities, this is the argument of those who want ever more restrictions. I have no problem with enforcement of regulations, prosecuting fly-tippers etc. Out with my dog yesterday and I picked up a mess from someone else's dog that was right in the middle of the footpath and it would have been good if that dog's owner was reported and punished but there is no way that I would want to see any more restrictions on where I may take my dog, camp, walk, kayak etc.

That particular case quoted by the OP might have some domestic troubles behind it, forced to go camping, quarrelling about looking after the kids and so on are all possibilities. Not an excuse of course but not something to have more restrictions on access.

i agree we were not there at the time and the possibilities are endless as to why. I always take a couple of bin bags with me and pick up other peoples rubbish (I put my own in the bags) if there is any about. I also agree that more restrictions on access is not the answer. we just have to do. What you, I and all the other good people here do and make a little impact on keeping the countryside as clear as we can, but I dont fancy swapping my car for a skip lorry just yet so my final words would be stiffer penalties for those who dont adhere to the country code and when we see it report it,
great debate
regards all
Paul

Last edited:

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Hopefully there is no one on here who would condone that behaviour. The real problem is the perpertrators of these crimes just don't see it at all, not bothered and no conscience, thankfully they are in a minority (I hope). Education and/or severe penalties is the only way to go, unfortunately as Mary states, it will cost time and money.

The Highland Councils Environmental Services can be contacted through the following link.......... http://www.highland.gov.uk/info/1054/rubbish_and_recycling/89/fly-tipping if anyone sees anything please report it, maybe a few hefty fines and the subsequent media coverage would change a few minds?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
As kids our Mar said that anyone who dropped litter was a "bunny killer" a little harsh maybe but it stuck with us. Clear up after your self is all about respect for the land and others.
Unfortunately so many have little respect for them selves nay mind the land or others. Definitely education is the only cure all.

My little lad was out with his nan and came across a crisp packed on the floor stopped and said nan STOP! there is rubbish on the floor we have to put it in a bin, I was so proud.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE