Kit thats come and gone ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rg598

Native
Cuben is a good bet. After the novelty wears off, the cost is just too high. Unless production costs can be decreased, its popularity will probably go down. Recently I bought a shelter. I had a choice between cuben fiber and silnylon. I went with the nylon. It added 3oz to the shelter, but saved me $200.

My bet would be wool blankets and all the derivatives: blanket rolls, etc. After the cool traditional factor wears off, they are just an inefficient form of insulation. They'll revert to historical recreation circles.

Who's taking the bets. :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Ah see I think the opposite- I reckon the GoreTex, sil-nylon, cuben, fleece and what not will be replaced by new space age more modern fabrics, whereas the waxed canvas, wool etc won't because it's timeless, but I geuss, I'm a little bit of a re-enactor, I'm more interested in using the kit they used to to get the experience of more traditional woodcraft if that makes sense. :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I reckon that we will say farewell to the closed cell foam mat before too long. Now that inflatable mattresses are becoming cheaper, lighter and more compact, the sight of the historically ubiquitous rolled mat on the outside of packs will fade and die. It's a pity, really, as the c.c.f. mat was - still is - a really good piece of kit: practical, light and puncture proof.

Still, the Vista Windlite was a great piece of kit that sank to oblivion...

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I found my mess tins at the same time. Even the squaddies recognise they are pants, and just use a crusader these days. Who wants lunch to taste of aluminium?
Crusaders are ok for boiling water, but mess tins are great for cooking in :)

Enamel plates/bowl/mugs seem to still sell well, I've no idea who's buying them, but they are on the shelves in most outdoor/surplus shops.
Very retro, and everyone loves retro these days. I have a set I had for a school trip back in 1970 something or other, that still gets regular usage :cool:

As for the crusader. I'm struggling to see quite why everyone loves them so much. They weigh a ton, the ptfe comes off far to easily, and they only use hexy. They are a classic example of the "bushcraft uniform". Personally mine is seeing it's last summer of use before I retire it to the kit chest, replaced by a lighter, more versatile titanium offering.

Quite agree, I bought one as it seemed to be the thing to have, and in all honesty, it does a good job for a brew up in the garden, but that's about all it gets used for - I even prefer to take my Trangia for brews while I'm fishing ;)

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Still using my aluminium Lowe Alpine "Hunter" cookset I've had for almost a decade and it'll be a sad day when that dies.
Plain ordinary 'tin' mugs not the enamelled variety are also getting as rare as hens teeth.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
I could see thermarest and clones going out of fashion - for bushcraft at least. One or two foam mats will do the job without susceptibility to punctures

outpost31

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2009
scotland
I just went back to using a foam mat as i was fed up fixing punctures on my alpkit inflatable. Nothing wastes a good nights kip like having to F around in the middle of the night with glue and patches and a headlight when all you want is to sleep.

Last edited:

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Still using my aluminium Lowe Alpine "Hunter" cookset I've had for almost a decade and it'll be a sad day when that dies.
Plain ordinary 'tin' mugs not the enamelled variety are also getting as rare as hens teeth.
I'm glad to see the back of metal mugs, you have about 10 seconds when the mug is comfortable to drink from between when the metal will burn your mouth and when the contents are cold.

outpost31

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2009
scotland
I nominate the "honey stove" for being too fiddly to put together,especially with cold hands. I like the concept but it would be so much easier if the corners were hinged. Mine now lives in the cupboard of remorse and I take a converted cutlery strainer instead

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
As they are now out of fashion I bought another Norgie today. About £4 delivered from Amazon. Just so comfortable and versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE