Beginner Woodcarving - Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
When I said old axe I didn't mean a vintange one ;P I just meant one that might be lying around in the hut. I'll have a look tomorrow.

It ought to be ok so long as a. it's sharp, b. it's got a sound handle, c. it's mounted firmly onto the handle.

The other thing to consider is the handle length and weight of the axe head.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Another way if you have an axe and aint all that confident is rest axe head on the log you want to split then hit it with a log so effectively battoning with the axe.

But make sure you hit the head of the axe and only use wood to batton the axe

That's sound advice too, I forgot about that ;)!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I wasn't planning on battoning with my mora as I've heard that's a bad idea... I will probably use a small axe. I'll stick it in the pith then rest it against a log to split it as I don't anticipate being confident at all swinging an axe about.

Edit: It's a hefty few purchases I'll be making tommorow, but it'll be worth it. It's three moderatley expensive woodsman tools or the latest Apple product. I have to justify it to myself that these purchases are a good thing. I'm not buying useless electronic junk. Anyone else feel the same way before they got the bulk of their gear? I have a Mora knife and Bacho saw, but that's it.

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Wood work toys for playing with are surely in a different budget from electrical gadgets! So no worries there or a need to justify:cool:

It comes under 'self help', 'relaxation' and 'good for the mind and body'

Actually it's a cheaper hobby than fags and drink! And golf come to think of it.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
For carving and general bushy tasks I find I would sooner grab a smaller hatchet instead of my SFA, but I have also used the SFA a lot for carving when I did not yet have the luxury of choice, and it worked fine. The handle gets in the way sometimes though. Your gouges are fine for hollowing the bowl, but I would strongly advice to clamp your spoon in a vice or workmate while using them to hollow out the bowl. The scar on my thumb can tell you a nice story of the time I thought I didn`t have to do that.

I do not think you`ll have to invest a lot in a straight carving knife at first. I find that the mora 511 with the guard cut off performs brillianty, especially if you are just trying to see if this is something you want to get into. The mora crook-knives are good as well, but require some work on the edge when you get them. If you can indeed get your hands on a Ben Orford for only a fiver more I`d be sorely tempted...

I`d say have a go at the birch with the tools you have! You`ll notice soon enough what tools you need in that process :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
This thread reminded me of an old video of a someone carving a spoon that I watched years ago.

I decided to search it out again, but of course the difference of looking then versus now is there is a lot more content on YouTube!!

Thankfully I remembered that he carved some rake pegs as well in a different video, which thankfully is not so common.

So, forgive the video quality as it is old - uploaded 5 years ago but I'm sure he had it on his own site (ahardslojdlife) some years before that.
[video=youtube;gjzy96slrG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjzy96slrG4[/video]

Something very relaxing about watching it.

I have always intended to make a neck strap since I saw those videos. Still not done it....

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
That was a very relaxing watch. His technique is a very unconventional and the way he carves is very free form. Still, it's nice to see other people's ways of doing these things.

Edit: Referring to the spoon video.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Mate just set about it. I carved my first spoon from a piece of seasoned fire wood using a £10 Chinese slip joint. I finished the bowl using a marble and sandpaper.

All you have to know, which you keep asking yourself is....'' Where will the blade go if it slips?'' The rest you'll learn as you go.

That said I've just carved a Kuksa with the pith in it so maybe I'm best ignored.

th

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
I have:

Hultafors Chopping Axe 850g HY20085SV which was a bargain at £26.63 - and is comparable to the new GB Wilderness Axe or GB Scandinavian Forest, and will see use in winter camps. A point to note that this particular axe does not come with a mask
http://www.toollineuk.com/product.php/section//sn/HULHY20085SV

Hultafors Classic Trekking Axe 500g HBFY05 £41.60 which is a lovely little hatchet on a par with the GB Wildlife hatchet for carving and kindling
http://www.toollineuk.com/product.php/section//sn/HULHBFY05

Delivery from tool line is just £1.99

Just debating now whether to get the hunters axe to complete the set :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Step away from the computer. find your axe, sharpen it and start your bloody spoon. Just get on with it, and stop talking about it. You could have finished it by now. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Step away from the computer. find your axe, sharpen it and start your bloody spoon. Just get on with it, and stop talking about it. You could have finished it by now. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
This is uncalled for. No, really. It is. I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but if it's not then I feel this needs to be reported. I can't believe I'm actually being harrased because I'm speaking about Bushcraft. People speak about tools here all the time and do they get this treatment? You're basically telling me to stop talking and just "go and do it". How can I make the spoon if I don't seek out the information? You're refusing me the right to actually ask people about these things. I'm in a mind to report you, I really am. This thread was fine up until you posted. I hope others can see that I've said NOTHING to this person.

Don't tell me I'm overacting. This is sheer harassment, disagreeing with my fundamental right to ask advice and discuss things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE