looking for a new coat and want something non-rustly but hard wearing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr_magicfingers

May 15, 2012
London
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a small farm with 7 acres of woodland. I'm well kitted out with your typical outdoor gear and goretex but I'm looking for a new coat that doesn't rustle like nylon but will be hard wearing and reasonably waterproof.

I wouldn't be out in torrential downpours, as I'll just come indoors but I want something that is quiet so I can sit or wander the woods watching wildlife but strong enough so that when I'm working in the wood it won't get torn too easily.

The wood hasn't been that well managed so over the coming winters there will be a lot of tidying and clearing. I'll have chainsaw kit for when I need to use a chainsaw but I'm looking for a more general outdoors coat for the rest of the time out there. Goretex/nylon is likely to snag and tear too easily I think.

I've considered the obvious barbour wax jacket (how much :O ) but thought someone on here might have other suggestions for me to consider.

*edit* I don't mine paying for a decent well made jacket, so I guess budget of £100-200.

Cheers,

Justin.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Barbour are the tried and tested jacket. Do an advanced search for quiet jacket and you'll find lots of jacket threads which may offer up other options.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
A waxed jacket/coat ticks all your boxes............I'm more Aussie than Barbour but now you're a gentleman farmer, you might as well look the part....;)
Don't be afraid of going down the second hand route, You can find coats in excellent condition on ePrey for example & because you didn't pay a fortune for it you won't mind getting it dirty.:)

You'll need a hat too.......stops the rain dripping down your neck.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne

mr_magicfingers

May 15, 2012
London
Thanks for the great replies, just the info I was looking for. I think I'm going to go for a second hand Barbour as it's for working in the woods rather than looking pretty so no point paying the premium for something new. I think the Northumbria would be a bit too heavy and warm for my use so looking at a Beaufort or Border model. I have my battered but much loved tilley hat so I'm good for headgear.

Cheers,

Jackdaw

Highly recommend the Drizabone Parka. It's a brown waxed smock jacket with a hood. I have doctored mine as I don't like wearing hoods and have rolled is up and tied it down (a bit like an army smock).

Got mine cheap on Eblag after waiting several months for one to come up at the right price. Other than that, Barbour all the way for me. A Bedale has the best of all worlds. Second hand looks better and can save you quite a lot of money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE