Marttinii Knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
My first fixed blade was a Marttiini Lynx model 121. It has a stainless 3.5 inch blade an a curly birch handle. It is a capable enough knife, the steel will take a hair popping edge, but it is by no means a very hard steel, so expect to sharpen little and often (although they don't specify, I think it is 420 stainless). It is a super looking knife however, with nice wooden handle and leather sheath, which you don't get with a Mora. However the fit and finish where the blade enters the ferrule leaves a little to be desired.
I bought mine from the Marttiini factory shop in 2000 and it cost about £13, but they seem to have got a lot more expensive since then.
Of course Mora make cheaper knives, some with Carbon steel and some with 12c27 stainless, and you can get wooden handled ones, and if I had a Mora then I wouldn't cry if I lost or broke it.
So if you want a nice looking knife then Marttiini are good, but if you want better value and better steels then Mora probably has the edge (excuse the lame pun)
Just my opinion though, hope this helps.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have one that one of my brothers found in Norway under a bridge whilst he was camping over there.

He gave it to me when I was about seven years old and I'm 40 now. As already posted I don't think the stainless they use is the hardest but its still fine.
I think it would be one of the Lapp knives in their range.
The handle could do with being bigger for my hands but that's about it.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I have one of their pukkos. It's a nice knife but I'm not attached to it for some reason and it never gets in to the user pile

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hmm.

When I spoke to a Finnish friend, they were the only knives she'd ever heard of!

I looked at a few at their knife museum at Rovaniemi, near the Arctic Circle. The vintage Marttiinis are plain but I think very functional.

I bought a Lynx in stainless. Looks nice. It's ok, but the steel is rather average (like 420, I agree), the curly birch has no grain and the leather sheath is cheap. I don't use it much.

I also bought one of their fairly cheap carbon small puukkos. The handle is machine made, again no grain, but very comfortable and well designed. The carbon steel is excellent, takes a very good edge and retains it. Traditional Finnish sheath. I'd say it's a much better knife than the shiny more expensive Lynx.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have never owned a Mora so I don't know how they compare, but I have a Martinii, had it for ages now and as a knife it does what knives are supposed to, it cuts. 5 inch blade and rubberised handle which is branded Normark for some reason. I find it comfortable to use and have no complaints.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE