Canned Tuna in oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
B&M are selling 120gm cans of Tuna in vegetable oil for 39p. Brand is Piteu, packed in Portugal (Sardine type ring pull can), in date until 2016.

30gm less than a typical can but enough for a sandwich or mixing in with rice / pasta; ideal in a day pack.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It says, ingredients : Tuna and vegetable oil. I don't mind dolphin, fish is fish.

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/stores 290 stores in the UK in all the major cities and towns so hardly obscure places ?
Last of the camping stuff on sale this morning, 'army' mess tins £1.49, blue enamel mugs and plates 49p, pop up tent £9.99 which my grandson will love I'm sure.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....http://www.bmstores.co.uk/stores 290 stores in the UK in all the major cities and towns so hardly obscure places ?......

there are some real gaps in their coverage though rik, i live between the towns of chesterfield, matlock, and clay cross, and there's no B&M store close to me. we do have a "discount uk" though and they sell the same kind of junk. so i don't suffer too badly :)

cheers

stuart

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
made in Portugal eh? is the label in English or Portuguese? if it's in Portuguese what does it say? I'm really curious now... if it says "azeite" anywhere, that's olive oil

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
good shelf life, but shame about the rank oil.

tuna should only be canned in brine ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
made in Portugal eh? is the label in English or Portuguese? if it's in Portuguese what does it say? I'm really curious now... if it says "azeite" anywhere, that's olive oil

Blooming heck lads, its a can of tuna for a camping sarnie or sticking in your rice/pasta for 39p!

INGREDENTES: ATUM MIN 65%, OLEO VEGETAL, SAL

It tastes fine, no better or worse than John West tuna in oil.

One thing to keep clear of from B&Ms is the canned Brussels Sprouts, the English language is not broad enough to encompass the disgust I had when trying these green monstrosities and the Turkish canned day glow pink chicken luncheon meat comes a close second.

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Not just a can of Tuna.
Not long lined.
Not in Brine.
Incorrect labels.
And sold in B and M
What a travesty. :)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not just a can of Tuna.
Not long lined.
Not in Brine.
Incorrect labels.
And sold in B and M
What a travesty. :)

Watch it sunshine or you don't get that new stove next week Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

" I think it's illegal to sell foods with labels that are not in English..

Them that hides, can find, says I."

Its in English as well :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It says, ingredients : Tuna and vegetable oil. I don't mind dolphin, fish is fish.
QUOTE]

But dophin isn't a fish :p

Actually there is a fish called dophin www.fish4fun.com/dolphin.htm A very DELISCIOUS fish I might add. It's also called Mahi-Mahi

But the concern for dolphin (the mammal) when talking about canned tuna has nothing to do with the contents of the cans. Rather the fact that tuna that are netted (as opposed to being caught on linglines) often kill dolphins in the process. They don't end up in the cans but thet are still killed.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
seems a waste to kill them and just throw them overboard.. may aswell add a bit of dolphin, even if it is just a few blow holes :p

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
seems a waste to kill them and just throw them overboard.. may aswell add a bit of dolphin, even if it is just a few blow holes :p

It is a waste. Especially as many species are threatened. Hence the concerns and subsequent controls on netting. Many canneries also now get premium prices through marketing tuna caught by longline only. However it doesn't help that tuna stocks are also being depleted through over harvesting.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
good shelf life, but shame about the rank oil.

tuna should only be canned in brine ;)

Actually I prefer the oil. It's the only way it was canned when I was a kid (tuna or sardines for that matter) But if you don't it's easy enough to remedy at home. Just dump the can contents into a strainer and rinse it under a running tap for a minute or so.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
And you could try the oil as a dressing on dandelion etc or use it to make a candle, or fire acceleration. Cheers for the heads up :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Blooming heck lads, its a can of tuna for a camping sarnie or sticking in your rice/pasta for 39p!

INGREDENTES: ATUM MIN 65%, OLEO VEGETAL, SAL

It tastes fine, no better or worse than John West tuna in oil.

actually it's only a can of "more than 65%" tuna, in boring veggie oil, no wonder it's only 39p

also: illegal to sell food without English labels? only in England! :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE