Beginner tools for leather work.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Could any of you leather workers please help me out here. I am fascinated by the sheaths, pouches etc. that people make on this site. I found a site I have watched some videos on YT and have decided to take the plunge and try it out.

Being a complete beginner means that I am going to have to buy all my tools from scratch. WHat I dont want is to buy a tonne of tools that will sit in the bottom of the tool box unused. The tools seem expensive (like most trades), so what I could do with is a brief list of the most used/important tools. Can anyone please help? I found this shop www.bowstock.co.uk/ , but am open to other suggestions on where to buy the stuff (ideally from just 1 retailer).

And with regards to punches, which sizes would you reccomend?

I am mainly planning on making sheaths, pouches, and eventually a handbag
...for the Mrs :)

Thanks

Andy

Cliffnotes:
What tools should I buy? :)

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm just starting out myself.

My intial purchases were

needles thread and a block of wax
stitch marker
awl
hole punch
a bag of pop rivets and a punch for fixing them together.

think about what you want to make.

Make a pattern out of card board before you cut any leather so you can tinker with the design then go for it. Only limit is your imagination and budget lol.

pictures of the first thing I ever made are here

I'm lucking enough to live really close to a fantastic leather shop called Le Prevo. they have a web site.

Last edited:

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Thanks surfbear, your knife sheath looks great. What type of stitch marker have you used? I've seen ones that look like bolster shisels with teeth, and ones on wheels. What size punch and rivets do you use?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE