Mini Bushcraft Library

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TimD

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
Coulsdon
Hi,
I run a Scout troop and try and spend as much time with them out and about doing stuff as possible.
Now and again however we find ourselves in our HQ with a little time to spare between activities and some of the kids want to chill rather than run around for a few seconds.
I'd like to get a few bushcraft books for the kids to pick up as they want and browse for ideas etc.
Not in any way meant as a replacement or really a learning technique as that needs to be more hands on with Scouts but just a few books lying around for them to pick up and comment 'cool idea, can we try that?'

So, what I'm looking for is a list of peoples five favourite bushcraft books? Which ones do you think give a balance?

So far I have (because they happen to be at home)
Mors Kochanski: Bushcraft
Ray Mears: Essential Bushcraft
Collins Gem: Food for Free
Hedgerow Medicine (less bushy but happy to donate for any Scouts interested to browse)

So, any other suggestions? Looking for 5 or 6 books to add.

Regards,
Tim

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
Camping and Woodcraft by Horace Kephart
The 10 Bushcraft Books by Richard Graves
Australian Bushcraft by Australian Army Education Service

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I find these two books useful, though they are not aimed at bushcraft or scouting in particular:
Make it Wild by Fiona Danks and Jo Schofield
I Love my World by Chris Holland

ray mears-the outdoor survival handbook-plenty of projects there for the scouts to try
mors kochanski-bushcraft-again plenty of projects
food for free collins gems
tristan gooley natural navigation
kephart camping and woodcraft

some are old un's but very appropriate for scouts i feel
don't forget BP's book scouting for boys some good bits in there too

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
I had RM's Essential Bushcraft, but gave it away.... I have "Camping Hiking & Wilderness Skills"
by Peter G. Drake which IMO is just as good - at a fraction of the price..

Wisconsin Cherokee

Jun 9, 2012
Brookfield, WI USA
I would suggest Ellsworth Jaeger's Wildwood Wisdom (a book that influenced Mors Kochanski in his boyhood). His Woodsmoke is also excellent for boys, but out of print. Additonally: John and Geri McPherson, Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living; Larry Dean Olsen, Outdoor Survival Skills; Michael Pewtherer, Wilderness Survival Handbook.

I run a small club for high school students at the school where I teach. We call it Nature Awareness and Wilderness Skills.These books have been helpful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE