Prefabricated FAKs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
As someone who has an old FAK full of out of date and other useless items I am interested in getting myself a couple of new FAKs. I am interested mostly in just buying already assembled FAKs and I like the look of the lifesystems ones (I saw someone on here velcro'd it to an obvious place to the outside of their bag.... I think that's a great idea and may steal that) and then just keeping the bits up-to-date, in good condition, adding useful bits (like anti-histamines, tick removers) and removing not so useful things (if there are any!) as I go.

I would like to get a FAK for 'lone' day trips and a FAK for 'lone' weekend/weeklong trips (I say lone, since if I'm in a group it's still nice to know you have what you need, and you won't end up having to borrow bits from others, plus 'lone' because you've otherwise got to rely on others also bringing one). I think it could be good to have the small FAK attached to the outside of the pack and the bigger

There are so many Lifesystems FAKs, heres a handy comparison chart: http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/imgs/first_aid_kits/FAK_Comparison_Chart_2011.pdf

it's hard to know which one would be most suited to bushcraft day trips and which would be most suited to bushcraft weekend+ trips (in the UK, where you will typically not be more than a phone call away from the emergency services)

Any suggestions on a kit for these, bearing in mind that on the longer trips I could take both. Have the smaller one velcro'd to the outside of my back and the bigger one tucked away inside the sack (maybe a note inside the smaller one, saying BIGGER FAK, FOR BIGGER MISTAKES, IN PACK! :))

So what two lifesystems kits would be most apt and what may you wish to add additional to them?

Thanks,
Matt

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
FAKs only become out of date as the manufacturers cannot guarantee the plastic wrappings won't degrade after a certain time. Otherwise they're still good to go. The dressings will still be ok to use.

With Regards to First Aid Kits

I think self made kits taylored to your personal needs and skill level are far superior than some generic kit.

Although Pre-assembled FAKs do provide a great base for building upon to make a personal FAK

Here are a thread shown my FAK

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79836

My kit Is designed for the for 'lone' weekend/weeklong trips, an explanation is given in the post.

Hope this helps

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ace cheers, it's hard to search a forum with 'what first aid kit' :) All the words are apparently too common!!!

However using your post and the sticky I want to build up the perfect personal FAK.

As for dates and the likes, I wouldn't know how true or not dates are on medical equipment. I can imagine it's just like food. I eat food without even looking at sell bys, however a part of me figures that first aid/medical stuff is a nice thing to keep in date. I probably have kit in there that is from like 1992 as I stole it from a cupboard at home! Half the plasters probably have no stick. Found that one out before.

Now, I have looked into it more I think I am more interested in building up my own 'perfect' FAK as sticking it all in individual sachets inside a drybag seems like the most sensible solution in terms of space saving and weight saving.

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have the group Mountain Leader First Aid kit from Lifesystems. I have added a few bits and have an ice pack, sugary food eg mint cake, glucose gel, power gel, small 500ml spring water, wee vaccuum packed poncho. It's all together with an orange survival bag in a small drybag. So wether I'm away at an indoor climbing wall, kayaking, in the park, doing bushcraft etc with my Outdoor Learning class, I have the kit dry.

I have drifted to using a two person bothy bag as they are far faster to warm up a casualty than them sitting an orange survival bag. You can also struggle to do a top-to-toe survey, treat or monitor a casualty in a survival bag but you can in a bothy bag.

Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
+1 on the both bag. They're part of the first response first aid kit used by some mountain rescue teams. I wws sceptical until I first used one. It was surprising how warm it got with a couple of people in there. They're perfect for managing the casualty's environment until they can be transported out.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
On my recent First Aid, with the provider being part of a Highland MRT, he showed us an orange survival bag cut open. It had a foil blanket gutter taped on top. It then could be rolled around a casualty and become an improvised stretcher or could be opened easily for casualty care etc. So combining that with a 2-3 person bothy bag is small very light and adaptable. I will post a pic the next time it's out.

I carry an 18 person, yes 18, bothy bag on the school minibus as if we break down we have to get out the bus and sit behind the barrier. So is only going to be used then.

I agree with some of the other comments about making your own. You may even find that you already have most of the stuff you need in your home FAK. It is, of course, a personal thing but I tried to strike a balance between likely injuries, cost, weight and the kind of first aid I'm actually capable of administering. My kit isn't perfect but it does me! :D

I carry Wound closure strips, Fabric plasters, Ibuprofen, Antiseptic wipes, Savlon, Large dressing, Safety pins, Small crepe bandage, Tick remover, Indigestion/heartburn tabs, Anti allergy tabs and Suncream. It's quite a small package that all fits in an Aloksak weighing in at a total of 104g!

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE