Instant charcloth from a paper towel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The source of this is Slammer 187 so thanks are due to him.

When I was finding out about wood gas stoves I came across utube videos by Unlimited Bushcraft/86thmountmerrion (= Slammer187 on BCUK) and I think the most up to date of the uTube names is Unlimited Bushcraft at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/UnlimitedBushcraft

One of the videos is called "Instant charcloth...Fire from a knife and a tube".

It looked like a really good idea that I hadn't seen before. So I had a go.

The basic materials are a piece of tube - about 2", (I used half inch/15mm copper tube) and a paper towel (plus flint and steel).

You roll the paper towel up and put it in the tube
CIMG6612.JPG

CIMG6613.JPG

CIMG6614.JPG

and set fire to it
CIMG6615.JPG

let it burn out or, better, pull it back in the tube to ensure it is out
CIMG6616.JPG

The resulting 'charcloth' very easily takes a spark
CIMG6617.JPG

CIMG6619.JPG

The ember looks more than good enough to light tinder but (confession time) I couldn't get my tinder to light - probably didn't prepare it well enough so 'must do better'.

I think this is a useful thing to know when out and about and it certainly seems a good little exercise for me to show the scouts when I next visit the village troop.

PS the reference to fire from a 'knife and a tube' is simply that, in the video, a knife and a 'found' bit of flint are used to create the spark for the ember on the (already ) charclothed napkin

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I have seen this with cotton rope and a tube - we used to call them "Arab cigaret lighters"...

Yes I'd seen them too - and it is on my list of things to do when I can get tube and 100% cotton rope that fit but thought this cheapo version was interesting and worth a try - and it worked!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Setting fire to a cotton wool ball then stamping it out works too - just drop a spark on the burnt bit of the cotton wool and it will take easily from a traditional flint and steel at a later date.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Haha I'm flattered that someone has found use from my videos :p

If you want to light a tinder bundle I find that the best thing to do is to hold the glowing cloth in the tinder bundle without blowing on it to create a larger ember and then blow it into flames or the best thing I find is that if you have a batch of charcloth that isn't of good quality you can use this to light it then drop that into a tinder bundle! :)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Haha I'm flattered that someone has found use from my videos :p

If you want to light a tinder bundle I find that the best thing to do is to hold the glowing cloth in the tinder bundle without blowing on it to create a larger ember and then blow it into flames or the best thing I find is that if you have a batch of charcloth that isn't of good quality you can use this to light it then drop that into a tinder bundle! :)

Thanks - I'll give that a go - especially as I have some poor quality charcloth!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE