youth of today, their understanding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Isn't it great being young in this time rather then from 1970 or before
*we have access to great methods of entertainment as well as the outdoors so when you can't go outside you can still have fun
*we can stay in contact with our friends even though they may be in different cities doing degrees or working
*we still get free dental care
*parks have safety regulations which mean that when we're older we won't be disfigured by falling off the roundabout
*bikes have new developements which mean we can go off road and not get wrist ploblems from having no suspension. The seats have better designs so the don't cause impotence.
*we can go on holiday to different countries and find out about the world around us
*smoking is been banned whilst we still have a chance of having good lungs and not messing up our bodies
*we have great medical care when we need it thanks to the NHS
*teaching methods have got far better so nomatter what your ability you are caterd for
*we can work a video machine even though we knmow they wont be around for much longer as digital versatile discs which are far better
*girls can do what they want at school and nobody will think it's odd if they choose wood work or physics
*the only times we've been kept awake at night by something crying was a baby think it over doll
*you can go out drink to much and still be fine in the morning
*when we do have children the fathers will get paternity leave off work to help the mother and bond as a family

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Nice one mate!

The good new days. No need for nostalgia... :shock:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:
"The problem with the youth of today is they are all too young!"

I knew that there HAD to be some advantages to being a young person now, but I honestly don't think that they are any better than the advantages enjoyed by your predecessors over the youth that preceded THEM!

In fact I am having trouble finding a thing on that list that is not similtaniously a downside, or has arguably negative aspects attached to it. :rolmao:

For fun, save that list, and dig it out when you are about 30 :lol:

leon-1

Andy said:
Isn't it great being young in this time rather then from 1970 or before
*we have access to great methods of entertainment as well as the outdoors so when you can't go outside you can still have fun
*we can stay in contact with our friends even though they may be in different cities doing degrees or working
*we still get free dental care
*parks have safety regulations which mean that when we're older we won't be disfigured by falling off the roundabout
*bikes have new developements which mean we can go off road and not get wrist ploblems from having no suspension. The seats have better designs so the don't cause impotence.
*we can go on holiday to different countries and find out about the world around us
*smoking is been banned whilst we still have a chance of having good lungs and not messing up our bodies
*we have great medical care when we need it thanks to the NHS
*teaching methods have got far better so nomatter what your ability you are caterd for
*we can work a video machine even though we knmow they wont be around for much longer as digital versatile discs which are far better
*girls can do what they want at school and nobody will think it's odd if they choose wood work or physics
*the only times we've been kept awake at night by something crying was a baby think it over doll
*you can go out drink to much and still be fine in the morning
*when we do have children the fathers will get paternity leave off work to help the mother and bond as a family

Shame they haven't taught you about spelling or grammar and how to use a spellcheck :nana: :rolmao: :rolmao:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
leon-1 said:
Shame they haven't taught you about spelling or grammar and how to use a spellcheck :nana: :rolmao: :rolmao:
And a shame they didn't teach you too. :wink: A name (username in this case) always starts with a big letter, example L. (if it has to be grammatically correct) :nana: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
In fact I was a lot worse before I did thecourse which aided in grammer and spelling. It was noticed when I was young that my spelling was below the normal standard and I was given a lot of help with this.
I also had a fair amount of medical treatment when I was young (treatment lasted for about 7years in total)

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Is it dyslexia? My mother is currently on a course to become a dyslexic tutor as all the film editor jobs are running dry :censored: . It's quite an amazing condition, not necessarily a disability at all. As we're learning with my sister.

Wind_Chaser

Nov 7, 2004
Latvia
You know, it is not at all that one sided and all good, if you ask me. :roll: But I am not in the mode to argue now..maybe later :wink:

Oh, you forgot another thing - most youngsters have a tendency to grow old in their looks sooner than people used to. Really :shock:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I know it's not all good, but thats what we should try to focus on

one other point
bushcraft uk and britishblades weren't around when you early 80s 70s and 60s kids were teenagers (ok the bad side of that is a habbit of buying knives)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
:nono: Bad Fluxus :tw:

I do believe that this thread was started as a reaction to the one about "Getting Old?"
http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=4171
Which started by quoting the same material you have just linked to, and which generated no small amount of irritation among some of our younger members :lol:

It should be taken as a social commentary, not as a whinge about today's youngsters. As was pointed out, it is in many cases the people who were children in the 60s and 70s that have created the society of today, complete with lawsuits, lax discipline, and abundant entertainment.

If playgrounds now have to have rubberised surfaces under climbing frames it is because the youth of yesterday grew up, grew old, grew protective and insisted upon it!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am not going to argue about this. :roll: I think that an excellent point was raised in the Getting Old thread that no 12-14 year old decides to sue because they have an accident in the park. It is wrong to poke fun at the youth of today without being mindful that the stuff we are laughing about isn't all their doing.

We may have inherited the idea of suing for everything, but it is the children who had the lead paint, no seat belts, etc who have embraced it and allowed it to gain a foot hold.

For the purpose of this thread I couldn't care less about why we are becoming a litigious society. I merely picked law suits as an example.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE