Yew needles and Pin coushin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Been busy making Yew needles too. They are really fun to make and all you need is a knife. They are ideal for making coil baskets etc but i doubt they would be any good for sewing. They only take a couple of minutes to make each and you can make whatever size you like.

They are suprisingly strong and durable. They have a little flexibility too. I made a whole coil basket with just one of these small needles and it didnt break!

I made this set complete with pin coushin. The cousin is made using a coil method and is made from Sedges and inner Lime bark.

Hope this is inspirational. You may not have a need for the needles once you have made them but they are there when you do need them in the future. Pluss they are just fun to make

Jon

needles.jpg

naylor b

Jun 30, 2007
uk
nice work look like very useful tools :D
could you make these with any wood or does it have to be a hardwood?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Nice work Jon! :)

You definitely want a fine-grained hardwood for something like that - yew, oak or similar. Yew's probably the best choice as it's less brittle. Something softer or with a coarse grain won't take a decent point, won't last long at all, and could well split or break when you try and make the eye.

Still, it's gotta be easier than making them from antler... I always forget just how :censored: hard antler is to work. ;) Makes nice needles though.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Niice, well done jon, If i catch a big enough bass im wondering if i could use the Spines as needles
leon

I have a number of hair pins Gareth made me from Yew over the yars, they are a jiy ti use, supple, strong and the colour is beautiful. I've used Yew needles for naalbinding before now too, though I mostly use bone these days

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE