WS Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
OK now i have decided to keep mine and use it until either it or myself wears out (place your bets :lmao: ) a question for all you knifey experts.

How do you get the blade that shiney? :confused:
I keep my cutting egde polished to a mirror finish but the rest of the blade is the same as when it was bought. I have cleaned the blade using the polishing compound that British Red advised me on but what do i need to do to get the rest of the blade to the same condition?

Cheers in advance

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Use a hoodoo hone if you're really worried about that, but it is after all a tool and it wont keep a mirror finish for long when you've been using it.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Sound advice as always thank you.

It is used and will get even heavier use in the future. It will stay as nature and Raymond intended! :D

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
The inital batch of Wilkinson Sword Woodlores were all mirror finished blades.
However as time went on the finish was left to a fairly coarse grit finish, I'm not sure but I think they carried on mirror finishing the maple handled ones longer than they did the micarta handled ones, your example is a later one I think :rolleyes:

The only way to get a mirror finish on the whole blade would be to work progressively through the grits of wet and dry, and then buff on a buffer with polishing compound .
The problem with that being that you'd probably lose the etched emblems on either side of the blade. :eek:

regards

beach bum

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Good stuff. I polished up my old knife when I was selling it and got a lovely finish on it then, unless your selling it and want it to look more appealing there's not much point in it to be honest. Also giving it a strop with some autosol paste will give it a nice polish.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
ScottC said:
Good stuff. I polished up my old knife when I was selling it and got a lovely finish on it then, unless your selling it and want it to look more appealing there's not much point in it to be honest. Also giving it a strop with some autosol paste will give it a nice polish.
When I worked in engineering we used a non grease( now called greaseless) polishing rouge on a cloth buffing wheel. The grit we used was somewhere between the 3000 (fine) and the 8000 (polish)
Autosol is as good a polishing agent as any.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Nice one thanks for the help,

Yes mine was one of the last batches, I don't really want to be working that much on the blade so it will stay "au natural" :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE