Ray Mears W/S woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
It’s just the pictures. It’s a completely different weight, thickness, blade, grind and handle shape from the WS and previous Woodlore iterations. Totally different looking knife.
View attachment 83269View attachment 83270
Wow, impressive collection.

I hate to sound like an annoying nerd, but......that seems to be comparing the Emberleaf Woodlore Pro with the original W/S knife. The Woodlore Pro is indeed a different design.

However the Emberleaf production of the RM Bushcraft Knife (currently available on the RM website in addition to the Woodlore Pro) is designed to replicate the dimensions of the W/S original.

Sorry!

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
At that time, Alan's prices were lower, and in my opinion, you got a lot more, vs Emberleaf where you paid more and got less. I don't know how the prices compare now because I haven't seen or chatted to Alan in a few years, but I saw Emberleaf's stand at the CLA Gamefair this last July and their prices were as I had expected. Fit and finish all looked good, although I didn't handle any of them.

Two things make me say Alan's knives are better. Ergonomics and the personal touch. I can also see Alan's work holding value better. Alan sculpts his handles, often by hand to get precise shapes. Emberleaf do more belt/buff type handle shapes.

I have no doubt that their knives perform, I just think Alan makes a better/nicer knife, possibly for less money. The same goes for Ben Orford, who offers comparable/better knives as a single craftsman for less money than Emberleaf.

I also have a severe aversion to sales pitches that use hype (best word I can think of for bigging up products and making claims that are hard to verify and present as fact things which are subjective at best) and Emberleaf use a lot of such language in their advertising.
Alan's work is still around £300. I saw him in the Sharp Show.

Reactions: C_Claycomb

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
If such a knife was made now, yes, no question about it. For a full flat I would go Cruwear or Magnacut, but for a Scandi, AEBL (or Sandvik equivalent) is really good.
Not that such a choice is likely to ever be required! Spyderco are very unlikely to do any more runs of either format, in any material.
Sorry, do not mean to derail discussion....
back to Woodlore. :)
It would be lovely to have that knife in AEBL. I have one in 01 one of the rare examples of splatted handle with no cracks. At least it was not cracked the last time I checked. I took it to a very hot and dry climate and now keeping in there. so thing might have change. I will check that when I go back there.

Anyway back to the topic. The spyderco Bushcraft is an amazing knife. Everything about it is great other than the steel and grind. Blade and handle shape is perfect very practical and comfortable knife.

However the grind angle is too acute and O1 does not help with that. I got a roll on the edge as a result of making a chest lever cut to a half an inch diameter green wood branch. I was quite surprised. I must admit the application of the cut was not the best and the edge might get exposed to some lateral stress but I was still quite surprised by getting an edge roll after such trivial task. It was a very small roll that I managed to fix very easily with a ceramic rod and strop less than a minute. But I was thinking about such thing perhaps would not be happening if it was AEBL.

Last edited:

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I like my woodlore pro, to me it really is an improved woodlore.
I am fond of my Woodlore Pro but, despite its distal taper, I still find it to be a bit of a club in use. I wish the scandi grind came closer to the handle, too - the sizeable choil is rather annoying.

However, I suppose you like what you're used to and, to my embarrassment, I probably haven't spent enough time getting to know the Pro. For reasons beyond my ken, I usually reach for the knife with a blade thickness of 3 - 3.5mm; that seems to suit my needs best.

Reactions: Great egret

briar87

Aug 5, 2022
Kent
What do you think of this? Alan made it for me as a custom order earlier this year. I asked him about using his original etch from the Woodlore knives and he said he’d etch his half on it for me, using the very last etching stencil he had from the Woodlores. Originally the handle was a bit chunkier but after seeing photos, we discussed it and he reshaped it for me, to match closer to an earlier Woodlore that I’d seen that looked quite slim, yet with a pronounced palm swell.
Maple, tapered tang and brass Loveless bolts. My very own custom, one of a kind Woodlore from the man himself.
Sandy at Jacklore made me a maple Classic a few months before I received this, to the same Woodlore spec, just adding back liners. Both very nice indeed, and so hard to choose a favourite.

Attachments

• 4568FF01-60FA-4FF6-ABC8-18F8AA884872.jpeg
    4568FF01-60FA-4FF6-ABC8-18F8AA884872.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 28
  • E5DFF05E-440C-4AAE-AF9F-88C0F276BEFD.jpeg
    E5DFF05E-440C-4AAE-AF9F-88C0F276BEFD.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 5C9F1C4A-CE0E-45B3-86DD-983BE71A7F91.jpeg
    5C9F1C4A-CE0E-45B3-86DD-983BE71A7F91.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 28
  • 02E90140-1EC4-4C3A-B0A0-85715BF55C33.jpeg
    02E90140-1EC4-4C3A-B0A0-85715BF55C33.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: gra_farmer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE