Woodlore Knife vs Skookum Bush Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
Sandbender, I wasn't aware that Ray carried his knife like that. Seems better than carrying it on your hip or around your neck, but I still think that carrying it horizontally on my belt seems most appealing. I'll give both styles a shot, why not?

Mick, you make some awesome knives. I've come across them before; highest of quality. That design really does seem like the best of both worlds... sweet sheath as well.

Hoodoo, I've never seen that handle on the Skookum, that's gorgeous. What is the material? I've only seen canvas/linen micarta before.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sandbender, I wasn't aware that Ray carried his knife like that. Hoodoo, I've never seen that handle on the Skookum, that's gorgeous. What is the material? I've only seen canvas/linen micarta before.

I don't recall. I'll see if I can find it. It's a stabilized burl of some sort. The blade is 3/32" S30V.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Owning both - I can safely say The Skookum. Both knives are of similar size. But the skookum has a fatter, rounder handle that is vastly more comfortable. The lack of guard is lifted somewhat by widening slabs at the end of the handle near the edge. It also sports a better slicing blade in 3mm. I find the slight clip in the SBT blade enough for peeling bark and skinning/gutting (although I prefer a SAK Farmer for that kind of work)

In edge retention, the Skookum wins bigtime from my AW Woodlore.

If I would change anything on the SBT it is the choice of a light wood over the micarta for the handle - the knife is pretty heavy as is. Similar to the Woodlore I reckon.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
...I've never seen that handle on the Skookum, that's gorgeous. What is the material? I've only seen canvas/linen micarta before.

That's the Skookum Carver.
It's generally smaller than the Bush Tool, lacking the butt plate and has a thinner blade.
And it's often made with a wooden handle. Makes all the difference, doesn't it. :)

/ Karl

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That's the Skookum Carver.
It's generally smaller than the Bush Tool, lacking the butt plate and has a thinner blade.
And it's often made with a wooden handle. Makes all the difference, doesn't it. :)

/ Karl

No it isn't Karl. I know the carver well because I helped a wee bit in the design. And I have two of them. That knife is a buttless SBT that I had Rod make in 3/32" S30V.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Their both fantastic knives, i have got two of each and copies and variations of of both knives made by myself. I have been thinking of making a skookum with a 4mm thick blade so i suppose thats a bit of a hybrid . Why dont you make both knives Cody? I usuall make knives in two's or three's its more time efficient. Knife making can be very addictive so you will probably make quite a few and the more you make the better you will get. Have fun and best of luck with your project.

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
Their both fantastic knives, i have got two of each and copies and variations of of both knives made by myself. I have been thinking of making a skookum with a 4mm thick blade so i suppose thats a bit of a hybrid . Why dont you make both knives Cody? I usuall make knives in two's or three's its more time efficient. Knife making can be very addictive so you will probably make quite a few and the more you make the better you will get. Have fun and best of luck with your project.

Thanks. I hear you when you say knife making is addictive. Working with your hands in a traditional sense summons a feeling which no monotonous modern job can touch on.

Making one of both knives has crossed my mind, but for now I'm going for just one, mainly to see how it goes. No doubt I'll forge more in the future. And right now I'm still deciding on the design I'm going to choose. Better decide soon, though... it's almost time to get going on it :rolleyes: .

I'm surprised at the responses, though. I assumed most would go with the Woodlore; I guess the Skookum isn't no joke!

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
No it isn't Karl. I know the carver well because I helped a wee bit in the design. And I have two of them. That knife is a buttless SBT that I had Rod make in 3/32" S30V.

I stand corrected. :)
It was the "missing" metal buttplate and the thinner blade that fooled me. Made it look more like an oversized carver than an SBT in my eyes. If I'd looked at my own carver before writing, I guess the handle shape would have told me the truth. :eek:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I stand corrected. :)
It was the "missing" metal buttplate and the thinner blade that fooled me. Made it look more like an oversized carver than an SBT in my eyes. If I'd looked at my own carver before writing, I guess the handle shape would have told me the truth. :eek:

To be fair Karl, Rod got a litte grinder happy and the blade ended up being a tad shorter than the SBT and a tad longer than the carver. The handle is bigger and the blade is wider than the carver. Also, the carver has a bit more clip to the blade.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
To be fair Karl, Rod got a litte grinder happy and the blade ended up being a tad shorter than the SBT and a tad longer than the carver. The handle is bigger and the blade is wider than the carver. Also, the carver has a bit more clip to the blade.

No wonder I got confused. Neither a classic SBT nor a classic carver... It's a mongrel... :rolleyes:
And being that, you've probably got the best from two worlds. It looks like a fantastic carver/slicer.

Rod gave me the possibility to choose blade shape on my carver. I chose to have a straight blade, SBT stylee.
Goes to tell that Rod is a true gent who really listens to what his customers wants. And he's a magician when it comes to making those wishes come true.

Jimmy the Jet

May 21, 2007
Northern Canada
Purchasing a Skookum or Woodlore, I'd by far get the Skookum. Rod's knives are a far better value.

As to design, both are great, but I'd stick with the Skookum. I find the handle more comfortable. In fact, it is my favorite handle of all my knives.
In my estimation, as long as the blade shape is useful and not too thick, edge sharp, heat treat good, I'd say it should come down to handle design/comfort. Skookum wins hands down for me.

Gotta get one of those carvers now. Surprised Hoodoo hasn't put a pic one up yet, just to make us drool....

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Purchasing a Skookum or Woodlore, I'd by far get the Skookum. Rod's knives are a far better value.

As to design, both are great, but I'd stick with the Skookum. I find the handle more comfortable. In fact, it is my favorite handle of all my knives.
In my estimation, as long as the blade shape is useful and not too thick, edge sharp, heat treat good, I'd say it should come down to handle design/comfort. Skookum wins hands down for me.

Gotta get one of those carvers now. Surprised Hoodoo hasn't put a pic one up yet, just to make us drool....

Sorry Jimmy. My bad. :eek: :yelrotflm

skookum_carver1d.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
No doubt about it the Skookum is definately my choice.

The carver....someone mention a carver?

birchbowl6706gx5.jpg

Original SBT is no slacker either.

sunrisesbt5037lr2.jpg

The only real issue I have with the SBT series of knives, is that they have almost completely stopped my desire to buy more knives.

Hard to beat that buttless version too...

sbtminefront8009xh1.jpg

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
Thanks for the responses. I started my first knife yesterday. I decided I am going to make two knives; one similar to the Woodlore, and one similar to the SBT. I am tweaking them a bit, though. For the Woodlore, I am adding some length to the blade, and for the SBT, I'm probably taking some off.

I'm not expecting anything magic, because I am very new at knife making. I guess we'll have to see what happens :rolleyes:. I'll probably post some pics after I finish them.
Thanks guys, your responses helped determined this.
:You_Rock_

Jimmy the Jet

May 21, 2007
Northern Canada
That surprises me, Schwert. I'd have guessed an LMF or maybe TOPS Tracker for you. Who knew you were a Skookum fan??
(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Hoodoo and Schwert, awesome pics, awesome knives. I only gots one :(

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
If I had to choose, I'd say Skookum.

If I had more choice, I'd say neither :D

Pete

what that bloke said. :eek: in certain circles i'd be burnt for being a heretic, but i'm not a massive fan of either, either. :)

The idea of carrying your razor sharp blade around as a necklace (which I believe is instructed by Kochanski) is an idea I'm not a fan of either. I am a big fan of Kochanski and his work, but that carry method seems dangerous and annoying to say the least. If you watch this Youtube video below of Kochanski making a make-shift survival bow, it even seems to get in his way. The knife even accidentally falls out of the sheath at one point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PdYlT3c7wk

:You_Rock_

watch again, you'll see that what mors is doing is deliberately putting the knife in the sheath backwards so it doesn't click into place, it's just resting there. being as he's only putting it down for a few moments, it's easy to pick up again without gripping the sheath.

to my mind, much easier than trying to stick the knife in a belt sheath, less scary than clamping/holding it under your armpit. :rolleyes:

and yeah, when he bends over, the unclicked knife falls out. :lmao:

cheers, and.

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
sargey said:
watch again, you'll see that what mors is doing is deliberately putting the knife in the sheath backwards so it doesn't click into place, it's just resting there. being as he's only putting it down for a few moments, it's easy to pick up again without gripping the sheath.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. :)

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Again I think it's a cold weather thing, he usually keeps it in a belt sheath, lots of sheaths lots of options :D

I usually carry my knife either in the underarm or the plain neck orientation. It is a design by Julius Petterson about a decade or so ago (blade more like the Woodlore, handle more like the Skookum, but without the butt-plate), I don't like the "fumbling under the jacket" bit. In cold weather it is plain neck, as is I have to wear a life jacket when canoeing; that is easiest to reach regardless of what I'm wearing at the moment.

Never got the "proper" RM underarm to work right, the handle is too heavy, so both end of the cord exits in the top. I suppose adding a pocket for a sharpener makes the kife ride the right way up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE