Woodlore Knife vs Skookum Bush Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
I'm going to make myself a new knife for bushcraft, and I'm contemplating on which design to go for. So I'd like to see what you guys think. Would you go for the Woodlore Knife, designed by Ray Mears, or the Skookum Bush Tool designed by Mors Kochanski?

woodlore_birdseye.jpg

Woodlore Knife, designed by Ray Mears

skookum.jpg

Skookum Bush Tool, designed by Mors Kochanski

Both designs are very similar in many respects. Both knives have phenomenal reviews, and are widely praised. Yet at the same time, they are definitely different.

Keep in mind, regardless of the design I choose I'm still going to use the same steel and handle material. I am contemplating only on the knife's shape and design. Also, I'm more than likely going to tweak the blade a bit to suit my own standards, such as adding a half inch or so on to the blade. And if I were to choose the Skookum, I wouldn't include the steel pummel plate at the base of the handle.

At the moment I'm leaning more towards the Woodlore's design... there is just something about it which really grabs me. I recently put a new handle on one of my working knives, and I tried to shape the handle to be similar to the Woodlore's handle. I can't lie, I love the feel of it now. But I do hear a ton of good about the Skookum Bush Tool's performance and comfort.

Sheath wise, I'm going to make something in between the sheath which comes with the Bear Grylls knife, and the one which comes with the Woodlore knife. There is pretty much nothing I like about the Bear Grylls knife itself (except maybe that it's full-tang), but I absolute love it's sheath and carry style.

So at any rate, if you were only to choose one, which knife would you prefer to bring on an extended bushcraft trip - the SBT or the Woodlore?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
You're really gonna get some replies to this,probably descend into verbal war quite quickly.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
wow i never new mors designed his own knife
i think i would go for the skookum bush tool, now im more experienced useing a knife i find a guard, even a small one unnessasary and a bit annoying. i think begginers like them because it gives them more confidence but after youv lernt more advanced techniques they do get in the way. as mors says in his book he has never had an injery due to lack of a guard.

pete

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
i also like the look of the woodlore, im getting the bits together to make my 1st knife and going to try to make one like it.
i also like the look of that skookum, but the only thing about that design is, is the dots, it reminds me of a ladie bird.
if the woodlore and the skookum was to have a fight, the woodlore would win.

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
I would vote for the Woodlore knife purely because it has a little shaped finger guard at the end of the handle to aid grip and prevent fingers sliping onto the blade. Other than that both knives have all the same functions that I would be looking for in a small knife.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Why not do a hybrid of the two? Just design a knife with all the aspects you like from each one and end up with your own unique style :D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
If I had to choose, I'd say Skookum.

If I had more choice, I'd say neither :D That said, I've used neither, I just don't like the look of either. I prefer the type of profile on the SBT, but the blade is too wide for a general purpose knife IMO. I don't like the profile on the Woodlore knife AND I think it's too wide. I've no idea how thick the SBT is but the Woodlore is way too thick for my liking, and I don't like the mini-guard either.

As you can see, my opinion on the subject is 100% worthless since I've used neither and don't like either, but it does go to prove the point which I replied to make:

It's personal :p Neither is really "better".
Maybe make one of each? Then there's a better chance of ending up with one you like, if right now it's a tossup - if you end up with two knives you hate, flog 'em ;) If you end up with two knives you love, that's just gravy :D

Pete

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I think the SBT blade with the handle of the woodie and no butt cap would be the way to go for me.

I actually like the slight finger guard.

Though I prefer bernies bushcrafter (still can't justify/afford one)

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
Yeah, I know that many say the mini finger guard is worthless, but I still like it for some reason. I just don't like even the minuscule possibility of coming forward on to a blade which is even half as sharp as either knife... a cut to the bone on almost all the fingers of your working hand while deep in the bush just doesn't sound like a scenario I'd want to be in. :rolleyes:

I've actually got a bit of a story for this, actually. While tapping a birch tree during the spring I accidentally slipped up the blade and cut my ring finger, almost to the bone. I know it was a noob mistake, but regardless, it happened. I bandaged it up, but I soon after found out how terrible it can be having a freshly cut finger when practicing bushcraft. While I waited for the container to fill with sap, I began to carve a spear for some practice at spear fishing; anytime I'd press down for a pressure cut, it would send blood gushing out of my finger like a geyser. I had to completely abandon the project and find something to do where I could work around applying pressure to my hands... and given that I was in the bush, my possibilities were pretty limited. What I'm trying to get at, is that a small finger guard would have prevented the cut. Even with a good knowledge on knife safety and technique, when your mind is wandering you can slip up sometimes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, I wouldn't turn down either of them :D
I have played with both and they are excellent.

The Woodlore somehow seems the more suitable though. The blade of the Skookum kind of leads one to use the tip more, and strong though it may be, it just didn't feel as 'right' when I used it.
I do like the handle profile on the Woodlore too, that slight guard just felt as though I could give more controlled effort with it instead of watching to make sure I didn't slide my hand too far forward, especially with that tippy blade.
Probably a terribly subjective argument but it is my choice. Different folks, different uses and different appeal.

cheers,
Toddy

stiffjoint

Jan 31, 2006
carlisle
You have to remember that the Woodlore knife was not designed by Ray mears but is the Ray Mears design as it was a development of an existing Alan Wood knife. The "guard" was to allow the user to instantly tell which side the of the knife was the edge side. It's too small to offer much protection for accidential "stubbing".
The SBT suffers from the lack of the drop-point blade profile as this is useful in many applications like splitting bark and the more known functions as a hunting knife. The more central point is generally agreed to be stronger.
The horizontal sheath seems a great idea and is best when used in the belly position. However, the need for a snap-strap for retaining the knife ends up being problematic.

Cody

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2007
New York, USA
You have to remember that the Woodlore knife was not designed by Ray mears but is the Ray Mears design as it was a development of an existing Alan Wood knife. The "guard" was to allow the user to instantly tell which side the of the knife was the edge side. It's too small to offer much protection for accidential "stubbing".
The SBT suffers from the lack of the drop-point blade profile as this is useful in many applications like splitting bark and the more known functions as a hunting knife. The more central point is generally agreed to be stronger.
The horizontal sheath seems a great idea and is best when used in the belly position. However, the need for a snap-strap for retaining the knife ends up being problematic.

Good insight. Apologies for assuming the Woodlore was designed by Ray Mears, it's a bit of information I collected from Ray Mears' website. On the page where you order the Woodlore it says "Designed by Ray Mears and made by Alan Wood, this is perhaps one of the most important items to have in your rucksack." I probably should have looked into it more. :dunno:

Whether or not I'm going to add a drop point is a big question I've been asking myself, and it's probably the main difference between the two knives.

And for the horizontal sheath, I wouldn't use snap-straps. That just sounds like an accident waiting to happen, even if they're strong. I'd stitch on some fixed leather straps. I'm going for a horizontal sheath because a vertical sheath at my hip gets annoying. And unless you secure the base of it to your thigh, it can be troublesome taking your knife out of a tight sheath when it's carried in that fashion.

The idea of carrying your razor sharp blade around as a necklace (which I believe is instructed by Kochanski) is an idea I'm not a fan of either. I am a big fan of Kochanski and his work, but that carry method seems dangerous and annoying to say the least. If you watch this Youtube video below of Kochanski making a make-shift survival bow, it even seems to get in his way. The knife even accidentally falls out of the sheath at one point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PdYlT3c7wk

There's a few reasons why I'm set on giving the horizontal sheath a try. But yeah, thanks a lot for all the feedback so far, guys. Good stuff.
:You_Rock_

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
...below of Kochanski making a make-shift survival bow, it even seems to get in his way. The knife even accidentally falls out of the sheath at one point...

Ouch:( that could have been nasty, however to be fair the basic mora sheath won't hold your mora as well as a good homemade leather one and I would imagine Mors's preference for this method of carry has much to do with using the tool in the far north where hitching up our jacket to retrieve your knife from a belt sheath would lose too much heat.

You could also look into the under arm horizontal carry favored by Ray, details on this set up can found here.

woodlore_sheath_under_arm.png

Given the choice I'd have both, if I had to pick one it would be the Alan Wood.

:D

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
id say neither, but since your making it. Just make it work out all the bits that can be better and there will be a few:D then make one without the faults;)

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
I like both knives but I think I prefer the Woodlore
I have been making these bushtools, I added a bit of a finger choil, & riveted the pommel plate on & gave it a hammer finish

Bushtool001.jpg

Bushtool009.jpg

Bushtool.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE