Winter Tyre options?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip>

Not sure how practical snowsocks would be. I don't think they would last too long if you used them for every trip, being fabric? And, if you keep them as a 'get you home' item for when you are stuck, then how are you going to fit them to your car when out and stuck? I guess you could jack it up to get them around the tyre but I'm not sure setting a jack on top of a slippy slushy uneven potentially icey surface then putting weight on top of it is the way to go. Or do you 'drive into them' like with chains? But again, you may well be already without traction at this point. So, do you fit them pre journey or not, and, how do they last?

<Snip

As I mentioned in the thread I linked to, you only need a half turn of the wheel to fit them, it's a very rare occasion that you are so stuck that is not possible.

If you are stuck the wheel will normally spin anyway and if it does that far enough to get the sock under the tread then Bob's your uncle.

I definitely wouldn't drive any distance with them on clear roads just because I'm a tight-wad, They work all right but yes they will wear faster. Last year I fitted them three times for a total of about one kilometre of driving. Given that I drive in and out of an estate that is never cleared of snow, often well before any other vehicles have been moving around, the total time spent fitting and removing the socks three times was less than it would take me to change wheels once let alone twice. (ie. On in the end of Autumn and off in the early Spring.)

With the large amount of Winter driving I do I am certainly considering Winter tyres in the future, the idea of a semi permanent solution to protect against unseen hazards like black ice is very appealing. Ultimately, of course, non of these solutions is a replacement for driving carefully in the prevailing conditions but in the short term these Autosocks have proved very practical for me.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I got some winter tyres for my Audi quattro last winter. Or should I say I ordered them in November and they arrived in May! Tip : order them now!

Totally agree. The joke with mine was i orderd them in november and they got snowed in so couldnt deliver them until February. D'Oh!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Totally agree. The joke with mine was i orderd them in november and they got snowed in so couldnt deliver them until February. D'Oh!

I feel your pain. I bought a set of snow chains for my T5 last september, didn't arrive til mid Jan!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Finnish technical magazine Tekniikan Maailma annually tests new winter tyres during fall. Last year the test was run with Ford Focus 2.0 with both studded and friction tyres. The best studded tyre was Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7, while the best friction tyre was Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice+. In overall the studded tyres were better.

Last edited:

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Just done a bit more googling and it does appear that studded tyres are actually illegal in the UK. Well, illegal wherever they could damage the road surface, so you'd be okay for a completely snow or ice covered road or off road, but not on tarmac or where the roads been gritted/plowed. Seems odd given that studded are the norm over here, but it looks like unstudded winter tyres are the way to go! I guess you could combine them with chains over them, but I'm thinking such crazy snowfall as to need that is not too likely...

I'm a bit disconcerted how long delivering winter tyres or chains seems to take as well, a lead time measured in months isn't exactly good service!

Has anyone else out there heard of a difference between a harder 'Nordic' winter tyre and a softer 'Central Europe' type? Over on the Snowheads link I posted before, they were saying that there is a bit of a difference, and the Nordic type is probably not the best suited for UK conditions, being more of a snow tyre and giving up some performance in other conditions (slush, wet, etc) to focus on the snow. But, I haven't really been able to find any mention of categories or differing types elsewhere... Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, would hate to shell out on a set then find that (just my luck!) it was the "wrong type of winter" :confused:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
These are what I have and they work a treat, http://infinity.tiremedia.com/model/inf-059-winter-king.html never loose grip unless on a very very steep slope or when drifts are deep enough to lift sump. never thought to ask what "type" they were. No one wants to get winter tyres in stock in February and risk being left with them in July. Delivery is only a problem if you leave it until the first big snow then order same time as everyone else.

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
I definitely wouldn't drive any distance with them on clear roads just because I'm a tight-wad, They work all right but yes they will wear faster. Last year I fitted them three times for a total of about one kilometre of driving. Given that I drive in and out of an estate that is never cleared of snow, often well before any other vehicles have been moving around, the total time spent fitting and removing the socks three times was less than it would take me to change wheels once let alone twice. (ie. On in the end of Autumn and off in the early Spring.)

We used them on a hire car in Italy last year and left them on driving on wet roads for a week, our journey was about 20mins each way every day of which over half was on a uphill road. We wore a couple of holes in them. but generally they worked very well .

We did get stuck once and the car started sliding down hill. pretty scarey, having said that , one of the locals described the slush conditions as "like soap".

I agree with you sentiment about cost vs usage , but they were cheaper than buying/hiring snow chains . and they are still quite usable.

MB

PS there is nothing wrong about being tight as long as you admit it !!!:)

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
MetzelerTourance.jpg

Put this on the my bike last year when we had a spot of snow, a Metzeler Tourance. Cracking tyre in all conditions. They are are meant for adventure bikes like an Africa Twin but work nicley on my old NTV600 Revere. Didn't get stuck in some challenging conditions, worst part was avoiding sliding and abandoned cars.

I have a spare set of wheels and was going to put a more conventional back tyre on for the summer but I like the tyre so much it's still on.

Sep 16, 2011
US
I've got General AT2s on my Land Cruiser. They work well off road, on road and in winter. They are as good as true winter tires but they have good grip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE