Winter Car Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A tip I picked up on another thread.

If you are storing food and drink in the vehicle, keep it in a cool box so it is not frozen when you need it.

That was what I was wondering about... how do you keep the water etc from freezing. Such a simple and obvious solution

Nice one Gary :)

Geordie9

Forager
Oct 25, 2010
Hampshire
If you are storing food and drink in the vehicle, keep it in a cool box so it is not frozen when you need it.[/QUOTE]

After reading this I checked the storage compartment in the boot where I keep a bottle of water only to find it 1/2 full and the pool of ice on the compartment floor where the bottle had split :(

Top of the shopping list this weekend is a cool box or bag so this doesn't happen again.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Another thing to consider is topping the fuel up when you get to 1/2 full. Winter is not the best time to be playing 'Fuel light bingo'

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Unfortunately neither if my vehicles are suitable for heavy snow (MR2 Mk1 & XL600V Transalp).
But for the car I have a 2nd set of wheels with winter tyres fitted which unfortunately only arrived this year AFTER the snow had melted.

I tend to not use the bike if it’s snowed since 400lbs of bike is a PITA to keep picking up.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I have now developed a family emergency food kit - which always goes in the car if I'm making a long trip. I'll be glad of it this winter. It consists of:

4 x Bagels - Aldi specials with long expiry sealed in heavy duty plastic
6 x Cereal Bars
4 x Packet Cous Cous ready meal type sachets
2 x Packets Tuna in foil packs
1 Mattessons Smoked pork Sausage
Peanut Butter in plastic jar
Salt/Pepper combined thingamajig

Tea
Coffee
Whitener
Hot Chocolate sachets for kids
Tomato Soup sachets

4 x Sporks
1 x Tin 58 pat mug
2 x melamine cups
Swedish army mess kit and alcohol stove
Spare fuel
Fire stick
Swan Vestas
Pan Grip
Lock knife
Water Filter + Suplies

This all packs into a 10 litre PLCE side pouch and should be enough to keep a family of 4 going comfortably for at least a day, although I haven't calculated total calories yet.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE