Winter Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 25, 2005
Morpeth
Apoligies in advance as this has probably been asked many times before.

Ok firstly ive decided that i wish to continue with my addiction to bushcraft when it gets a bit colder.... and when i say a bit i meen very cold, maybe a low of -15C

and im torn between two bags.

1. http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr3032.html
its a military issue ECW down bag and its only £50 however im a-bit apprehensive because the website doesnt give much information.

2. Snugpak Antarctic RE2 .... its a very nice looking bag and it has a good temperature rating but its quite expensive and the cheapest ive found is about £150.

so if anyone owns either of these bags or has some general comment/oppinion/knowledge speak up!

Thanx Mad

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Before you make your decision: ask yourself these questions:

1) Are either of the 2 bags down, or synthetic?

2) Are either of the 2 bags gore-tex?

3) Are you going to buy a bivvy sac?

I'd say go for down. It lasts longer, compresses better, and doesn't smell as bad. (Provided you keep it dry!) If you're buying a down bag, you know the weather's going to be bad, and you can't afford a gore-tex bag, do yourself a favour and buy a bivvy sac. Trust me, you'll thank yourself!

On the other hand, synthetic bags still provide warmth when wet, the pseudo-fibres are slicked with silicon. But they are heavy as all hell, don't compress very well, absorb body odours, and don't last too long.

Military sleeping bags are heavy as all hell, but usually down. The ECW (Exreme Cold Weather) is a 3 part sleeping system, there's an inner, outer, and a bivvy bag. Unless you're a big person, humping that around in the winter's going to kick your bottom!

In the end, the decision is entirely up to you!

A.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?p=95091#post95091

I must add that I have used the "Antarctica" bag on two nights and have extremely grave reservations about it. I would very strongly recommend that it is not used below about -15 degrees celsius. PM me if you want the full explanation ;)
One tip you may not have thought of - get bags with plastic zips, as when the mercury drops skin starts sticking to metal. And believe me, it is extremely painful! :eek:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think the bag in question is either the current issue sleeping bag or an old arctic down bag. Both are very warm, but also very big, great if you are "car-camping" but a bit big & heaving if you have to carry it any distance.
The Antarctica bag is what the current issue bag was based on, not a bad bag, a reasonable size and OK for UK winter use (although a mate of mine spent a night on Dartmoor in one and said he was cold!).
I have been out in this country and slept @ -18 using the buffalo system, great in wet conditions, but heavy and quite bulky.
I currently use a ME TDS (0c rated), this packs down small, is light and ideal for bushcrafting and I can use it year round.
Don't get too hooked up in low temp rated bags, how many nights in the year will it be -15??. Get something lighter, smaller and easier to carry, if its cold add a bivi bag and extra clothing (down jackets are great for this).
Neil

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've always found ajungilak (spelling alert) to be very good. but i personally use a medium bag and add fleece liners and bivi bags as required. that means that one bag can be used all year round.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Graham_S said:
i've always found ajungilak (spelling alert) to be very good. but i personally use a medium bag and add fleece liners and bivi bags as required. that means that one bag can be used all year round.
Spelling perfect there Graham. Ajungilak do make good bags - mainly geared more toward the Alpine market than the Scandinavian since Mammut took them over - but not too much. The Tyin bags are very good :)

Jul 25, 2005
Morpeth
Ok so from what you've all being saying snugpak's bags are overrated and over priced, so its now down to either a Nanok bag (still to do some research there) or the "British Army 58 pattern Sleeping Bag" which is going for a very nice £25 :cool: . im going to look into both of them and then hopefully make a purchase :)

thanks for all the help!

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Be careful when buying a 58 Bag:

A - they are not current issue, have not been for a good few years now. So I recommend a close inspection.

B - Available in different lengths, if you can get a "long".

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I have the old issue artic bag which I think is the one in your link, and an old 58 bag. Both are cheap, bulky and very warm. I find the artic bag the better as I use it as a quilt in summer. It's weight is about half of my total load though which is the main down side. I have used both bags for over a year in the UK in all weathers with no ill affects (the bag is carried inside a bivy as a bed roll and thus stay dry), to be honest I am not sure it is possible to keep warm in any bag irrespective of make if it got wet anyway. The major issue with the old bags is many have been repaired (and thus lost some of the insulation), the fabric can also be quite worn, so I think if you can source a relatively new bag, you should get a great all-rounder bag for next to nothing.

Tex

Nov 3, 2004
Pymble, Sydney, Australia
I would buy my arctic 58 every time. It's top value for money. If you are still thinking about spending 150.00 quid. You could buy the issue jungle bag for around 45.00 quid for a summer bag and pop it in the 58 arctic if you go any where really really cold. I did this during a very cold spell in Scotland when it reached -22. The only thing i would say is put the water for your breakfast, tea etc in side with you or it will freeze and then no brew. Only need to make that kinda mistake once. On the sleeping bag note the down in the arctic bag compresses much better than any synth bag of a simular temp range. Used with a goretex bivi it's a great combination. :D

j.roberts7

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2005
sleeping bags sleeping bags ahhhhh sleeping bags
now theres a subject you can chat about for hours
ive used all sorts of bags inc snug pack, pattern 58 issue bags, etc etc
at the moment am using a buffalo dp bag £185 its pertex with fibre pile filling and a pertex liner its very warm even when very very cold use your cloths instead of a inner bag i have also got into the bag with wet clothes and woke up bone dry after a very warm and cosy nights sleep fantastic bag you can even wash it in a river without any dammage and it drys out quick even when fully wet you still get tosleep what more can i say i use a bivvy bag with it in all weather
it cost me lots of money to find a bag i liked and did the job i wanted hope you dont have to go to all the same expense to find the one you like ok cheers mate hope this of some help

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
The bag from surplus & Adventure looks identical to the snugpak Antartica, maybe its the older version without any foil. Good price even if it is.
I think they just using the picture!

Anyway I own one and they are pretty warm and luxurious if you want to carry 3kg! I would say to -15 is a fair rating but then ratings are pretty vague in my experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE