Sleeping bag on a budget

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I need a new sleeping bag that will cope with the colder nights of early spring late autum.

I currently have a snugpak Hawk 9 but it over 20 years old and has lost alot of its insulation properties so its time for a replacment. Also as I get old I do feel the cold more tha I used too.

The smart choice for me would be an Army artic bag that I can get a grade 1 for about £45. But Im reluctant to buy a used sleeping bag maybe you can reassure me Im not buying some young squaddies w*nking tent.

after that my short list comprises of a snukpak Special forces 2 or an Alpkit Skyehigh 700.

Both are currently around the £150 mark but i now do find the snugpack bags too small for me around the chest and shoulders. An expander panel solves that proplem but add another £45 to the cost. I not sure about the size of the Alpkit bags.

Any advice would be helpful or is there any other bags I should be looking at

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yes, I know what you mean about surplus sleeping bags.
Unless it was in 'new, unissued' condition I wouldn't be too keen on getting in it either.
I don't care what anyone says or what disinfectant it has been covered in.

It would help if you could let us know what your budget is.

I, and I'm sure many others here, am of the opinion that a sleeping bag is the one area you shouldn't be scrimping money on. It will make the difference between a warm, comfortable, night's sleep and a horrible experience. So, if possible, whatever your budget is, see if you can save money on some other bit of kit and put the savings into your sleeping bag budget.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
It would help if you could let us know what your budget is.
Well I guess my budget around the £150 mark but I can not really afford to make a mistake. So if what a need cost more than that then I would prefer to save a little longer rather than buying a bag that is below par

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Eurohike Adventurer 300 are excellent for spring, autumn and perfectly adequate for current UK winters. They are roomy, no problems with the zips and generally feel quite cosy. You just have to make sure that 'in it' and pull the shoulders around you. Often on offer around £35 and IMHO better than the Artic 90's

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Am I missing something, early spring late autumn in UK does not require arctic level bag, in fact it would be somewhat uncomfortable.
No it would ot have been my first choice but 3 things might make it work for me.

I find snugpack temperature ratings somewhat inaccurate

im a very cold sleeper so I do prefer a warmer bag

it is the only bag at sale price

Wandering Fred

Oct 1, 2018
Dorset
I have a slightly used Snugpak Softie Expansion 4 Bag that I really ought to sell on if you are interested. Great bag that is not getting used enough.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Surplus bags can be fine if you are able to view it in person before buying. I was going to say most of my bags are surplus and 25 years old. But then I remembered which decade it is and they are all actually 30-40 years old. :D

Reactions: John59 and Ystranc

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Snugpak Special Forces 2 isn't tight.
I suggest to have a closer look to it.

The SF bivvy bag is very light and both work together very well.

But if you sleep in warm base layers anyway the SF1 might be enough for you.
I use it myself down to 0°C and recommend it until +5°C to average people if warm base layers are used.
Decathlon for example offers nice warm and cheap Solognac hunting fleece underwear. Just for a weekend you don't need to invest into Woolpower merino base layers.

SF 1 and SF bivvy bag are very light and compact. Both together fit very well into the current British army compression bag for the lightweight sleeping bag of the issued modular sleep system.

The warmer one of this modular system might be another option for you or the original from Carinthia, the Defence 4, that is especially roomy and a good sleeping bag too, a bit bulky though. Of course, the larger the bag, the larger the pack volume.

All three suggestions have the advantage that the sleeping bags are part of a modular two sleeping bag army sleep system, what's the current standard in most if not all NATO armies. I wouldn't buy anything else anymore, especially interesting if you try to keep your hobby in a sensible budget, because you can buy here two bags that serve you singular as usual but combined in serious winter conditions for rare winter camping occasions or as a security option for technical problems with car or heating in your home.

Together the modular army sleep systems reach approximately the temperature rating of the above mentioned Snugpak arctic sleeping bag.

I agree with @TLM that a new single arctic sleeping bag would be a fault in your intended use above the freezing point. It's not only too bulky but also simply too hot.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Just to reassure you about the Arctic 90 sleeping bags, they were almost always used with a matching liner/boot box. Most of the damage will be incurred by bad storage. More important is to find an arctic bag that has been stored hanging loose and not rolled up damp in a stuff sack for decades leaving it smelling musty when you open it. Mould can be dangerous. The liners can still be bought new for under £10.
As to it being too hot, that is down to a personal preference and where you are as we’re still getting close to zero on some nights, even this late in the year. Late last month we had a couple of nights at minus five Celsius, which were very late frosts.
They’re definitely bulky and heavy though, much like any of the older military kit.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Snugpak Antarctica is recommended for -20°C comfort temperature.

I find already the entire Snugpak Special Forces system pretty warm around the freezing point although you can leave the outer SF1 partially open if you want and it's recommend to -15°C comfort temperature.

I think the SF2 is the better choice because it's recommended to -7°C comfort temperature. That's really warm enough if you intend to use it around 0°C.
If it might get colder you take additional a padded army suit or the SF1.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You can get a used Snugpak SF2 here:

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I bought the Snugpak antarctica ad expader panel. tried it last night at a night temp of 11 to 13C. on a camp cot. It was comfortable not to warm at all. with the panel in there is more room but that means more air to warm up so it not so warm with the panel in. not zipping the bag tight around the shoulders also help not to get you too hot. As I age I seem to feel the cold more so a warmer bag is nice for me

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Once you find your sleeping position it is easy to tuck in the extra width (if necessary), I like to have some room to move without feeling totally cocooned.

Reactions: philipb

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I already noticed that you don't get sweaty in the SF1 and SF2 as soon as expected from an experienced point of view.
It seems to me that the moisture transport of the British made Snugpak sleeping bags works outstanding good.

Reactions: philipb

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
I layer. I've been quite cosy in -5 degrees C inside an ex-army Arctic sleeping bag liner inside a lightweight Army jungle bag inside a wool blanket on top of a Thermarest Ridgerest mattress inside a Norwegian 'knappetelt' poncho buttoned up to make a bivvy bag. All inexpensive and fairly compact to roll up and carry/wear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE