Wilkinson Sword/Allan Wood Woodlore Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
got a phonecall this morning from Woodlore, they wanted to know if I'd be available to sign for my knife tomorrow morning.

I said I was busy.... NOT! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Anyone else get a call?

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Martyn said:
Nod said:
Sorry everyone.....I hope they come sooner too, I want mine for Xmas. It was originally to be a birthday present, that was Nov 3rd!!!! :roll:

Ordered mine in September! :roll:

Martyn, excellent that you're going to get it before Xmas.

My wife bought me Ray's book for Christmas 01, I ordered the knife soon after. It arrived just in time for her to give it to me for Christmas 02 !

I'm a lucky beggar, but your wait hasn't been too bad considering.

You could test it out in the new year by turning your Christmas tree into firewood. Have fun :lol:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm delighted for you Martyn. Hopefully mine won't be too far behind it!
Have fun an mind your fingers! :shock: :-D :-D

Dave

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Well, here it is....

wswood8.jpg

First impressions - wow, it's certainly beefy. Slightly dissapointed with the finish of the blade, very highly polished, which is fine, but it was covered all over with freckles of rust. This is a gross oversight from the WS factory, it looks as though the blade has not been treated with oil or any kind of wax at all, then stored in the sheath. There was even freckles of rust on the grind - obviously a storage issue. These freckles have pitted the surface of the blade. I polished the blade immediately with Flitz and got the rust off. It's not a big issue for a working knife, but I would expect better from an outfit like WS - and the knife aint cheap at £160.

I'm not gonna comment beyond this, as there will be a full review in good time from the britishblades/bushcraftUK review team. :-D

Here are some pics though...

First, that pitting on the blade surface from the rust spots...

wswood3.jpg

wswood4.jpg

wswood6.jpg

wswood9.jpg

wswood13.jpg

wswood11.jpg

wswood1.jpg

Hmmmm, "Made in England" doesnt that warm yer heart? :-D :-D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ummmm yes. very nice, and just in time for christmas.... I wonder how many people are now hoping there prezzie has arrived and is under the tree.

:)
Ed

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I just realised, as today is the first shipment to the public, I guess I'm one of the first people in the country to see one of these and my knife is prolly one of the first dozen or so off the production line - cool. :-D

The micarta handled version is supposed to be shipping out on friday - if they ship special delivery then you'll get it Sat a.m. - I've one of those comming too. :wink: :-D

I'd be interested to know if anyone else gets the rust freckles. If you do, and you dont have any Flitz metal polish, you can use toothpaste. Then oil/wax with whatever.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That's certainly a beauty! I like the sheath too. Strange about the rust spots though. That shouldn't happen with a NIB knife, especially one of this price and quality.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hoodoo said:
Strange about the rust spots though. That shouldn't happen with a NIB knife, especially one of this price and quality.

Absolutely agree. It's not a huge issue as the knife is a user (and I should point out that the above photo is an enlarged macro shot which magnifies the problem significantly), but it definitely should not happen. A rub over with any kind of wax would have easily prevented it. Really quite shocking from a company like Wilkinson Sword, they should know better.

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
I'm getting mine direct from WS. Micarta version. Rang them yesterday afternoon and they told me it will be sent next week and will def be here before Xmas.

They use a courier though rather than Royal Mail and the Courier doesn't do Sat delivery, so even if they post it on the Friday I won't get it till Monday.

Yours looks really good though Martyn, shame about the rust. Unacceptable from a company of such standing. Phone Wilky and complain. I had a moan about the performance of the Dartmoor when it arrived and they asked me to fill in a feedback form, then gave me a discount on my Micarta that's why I got it direct rather than from Ray's site.

Lovely pics.

JohnB

Nov 26, 2003
Lancs. / West Yorks.
I'm waiting for a Micarta handled Woodlore knife, ordered 17th October. E-mail from Rachel today: some were delivered to Woodlore Friday, she is driving to WS tomorrow (Sunday) to collect the remainder. She said they'll be sent out Monday with guaranteed 24hr delivery. At last! :-D

This is my first post, so i s'pose I should say a bit about myself. (Odd place to do it, perhaps?) Anyway, I've been messing about outdoors for 25+ years, but not really in a bushcraft sense, more walking, mountaineering, camping, sailing - so some things are new to me, some aren't, but I'm always learning.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I am very tempted to invest in a Micarta version (well, after I've got over December's bills anyway).
Has anyone got one yet? What do you think? It's apparently not handmade - is the blade somehow different? Is there any advantage with either price or speed of delivery in ordering direct from Wilkinson? How much do Wooflore and Wilkinson charge for postage?

mm...just noticed a typo there.....

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Doc said:
I am very tempted to invest in a Micarta version (well, after I've got over December's bills anyway).
Has anyone got one yet? What do you think? It's apparently not handmade - is the blade somehow different? Is there any advantage with either price or speed of delivery in ordering direct from Wilkinson? How much do Wooflore and Wilkinson charge for postage?

mm...just noticed a typo there.....

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but as far as the blade goes, it should be identical. It's only the handle slabs which are hand carved on the knife above, the blade is factory ground on both of them, so there should be no difference between the blades of the micarta knife and the one in the pics above.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE