Wide Grind Yew Bushie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
Thought I would show this Bushcrafter I've done a lot in Yew lately, but this one has a 22deg grind so the grind is wider at 11mm on 4mm thick o1 so it will slice easier
see what you think

widegrindyewbushie001.jpg

widegrindyewbushie004.jpg

widegrindyewbushie003.jpg

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
This is the model of your knives I prefer.
Both handle and bladeshape.
I think the higher grind is good.
This something that annoys me on many bushcrafters, the 'low' grind.
The very edge on those may be sharp as hell but for deep cutting I prefer it thinner to a higher point. Otherwise it is somewhat like cutting with an axe.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Very nice, funny i was just thinking about using some Yew on my next project, it looks great.
How you you treat it ?

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
rapidboy said:
Very nice, funny i was just thinking about using some Yew on my next project, it looks great.
How you you treat it ?

I soak it in polymer then give it a final sanding when it's dry 24 hrs normally then tung oil and seal with Ren wax, the polymer seems to harden it up

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely fit and finish

Now if you could just go for a full spear point, drop to 3mm O1 take 1cm off the width and add 2cm to the length.......

<sigh> I really must draw that knife one day and get someone with your talent to make it...a sort of "precision scandy bushcrafter for a bloke with small hands". Note to self. Stop messing with axes and write down a knife design......

Love that one though - I adore Yew, and that high grind is soooo right. Lovely.

Red

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
British Red said:
Lovely fit and finish

Now if you could just go for a full spear point, drop to 3mm O1 take 1cm off the width and add 2cm to the length.......

<sigh> I really must draw that knife one day and get someone with your talent to make it...a sort of "precision scandy bushcrafter for a bloke with small hands". Note to self. Stop messing with axes and write down a knife design......

Love that one though - I adore Yew, and that high grind is soooo right. Lovely.

Red

Thanks Red :) I might try them Dimensions and see what it turns out like :D

davep90

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2006
wigan
thats just inspirational.
I found a pallet at work that came in from over seas with what looks like yew boards that i was thinking of using. Im definatrely going to try it now.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have some drawings if you want them mate? I'd love to see it in the flesh so to speak - drop me a mail if you want them and I'll explain in more detail

Red

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
davep90 said:
thats just inspirational.
I found a pallet at work that came in from over seas with what looks like yew boards that i was thinking of using. Im definatrely going to try it now.

Seems unlikely to me it would be yew. :confused: What a waste of it if it is.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like the knife and I do like yew wood.

I've seen a few times people talking about soaking wood either to stabilise it or harden up a softer grain. Is there a particular product to look/ask for?

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
JohnC said:
I like the knife and I do like yew wood.

I've seen a few times people talking about soaking wood either to stabilise it or harden up a softer grain. Is there a particular product to look/ask for?

I always use Pentacryl it's for working green wood, but I used a long time ago and found it hardens up wood like Yew, when sanding if you use it it stops the fibres raising up and you get a better finish, have to let it dry between soaks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE