Mora Pro Chisel Knife (C) Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Mora Pro Chisel Knife (C) Review.

IMG_5395.jpeg

Expectations.
I had not heard of Mora before I joined BcUK. However by references on this site and by various YouTube recommendations: I didn’t think that I could go far wrong with a high reputation company and a tool that only cost £13 delivered. (September 2023)

I was well aware of its size.
I have trouble perceiving 3D images from either numbers or tapes and rulers. I prefer comparisons, particularly since seriously underestimating the size and weight of an Opinel 13. I find toilet roll tubes a useful international standard against which to envision 3D items before I buy. The Mora chisel is a small tool, arguably too small for my big hands, non the less I ordered it.

I anticipated a small, reasonable quality right handed knife with a chisel edge at the tip.

IMG_5306.jpeg

IMG_5309.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg

Realisation.
The tool is everything that Mora and its YouTube reviewers say that it is and I am pleased with it. It’s worth keeping this in mind as the review continues.

The blade except the spine is burnished. The plastic handle is comfortable despite its small size.

Handle 115mm
Blade 75 x 20mm
Bevel. 8mm
Weight without sheath 100gm

The edges are 30 degree bevels on one side only.

It isn’t a knife.

The Chisel
The Mora works well as a one handed chisel. I find it best to use it with the wood supported and the chisel pushed downwards. This way I can put my weight behind it and remove a lot of wood in a controlled way. I don’t recommend using a mallet as the tang does not reach the end of the plastic handle.
IMG_5396.jpeg
I bought the tool as an aid to (somehow yet to be discovered) making a flute from a branch and I was able to hollow out a short semicircular trough in a lump of bone dry birch firewood in just a few minutes. If I have to split and rout a branch then this is going to be an appropriate tool for the job.
I was disappointed to find that in making the trough I had turned the edge of the chisel. That’s not a problem and can be forgiven (once!). Neither edge seems to have any secondary bevel but relies on the 30 degree grind. Also, in cutting and scraping out the trough I was levering the width of the blade across the grain.

I have added a second bevel to the first: maybe 100 microns wide @ 45 degrees and now have a robust and effective cutting edge. The reverse remains flat.

The chisel works well.

The Blade
The tool is less useful as a blade.
I knew that if this was to be a knife then it would be right handed, something that no other reviewer that I’ve come across has mentioned but I am well used to right handed horticultural knives.

Both of the cutting edges on the Mora are asymmetrically ground being flat on the reverse side to the bevel. IMG_5397.jpeg

I do not think that this is true of any of its big name competitors - certainly not Fiskars, Bahco or Hultafors which seem to be sold as wreckers (according to YouTube). The Mora is designed for a precise, perfectly flat cut. This will be invaluable for making the flute windway. Further, it is designed to be driven or pushed rather than being made for slicing. It will sharpen a pencil beautifully but some of the long blade tasks demonstrated by other reviewers would be better accomplished with a conventional knife.

Perhaps the Mora blade comes into its own as a one handed spokeshave or drawknife.

Finer carving can still be done conventionally.

There is more:
It’s a tough little tool and while I wouldn’t split logs with it, it will be ideal for splitting Hazel or Birch branches to make a flute and has split up to 75mm wide firewood in experiments. I have no hesitation in battoning it.

That razor sharp 90 degree corner is great for marking out, cutting a pilot slot or carving out detail.

So.
I’m very pleased that I bought the Mora Chisel Knife. I think that I have work for it. I won’t have it on my belt despite its typical plastic Mora clip and button sheath.
It could make a companion to an auger set: for shaping a tenon to a drilled mortice. As a chisel and a spokeshave it may well turn out to be the ideal rustic flute maker’s weapon.
It’s certainly fun to use and I have only just started to learn how to use it and explore is potential.

Conclusion:
I have no hesitation in recommending the Mora Pro Chisel Knife (C) to those who have work for it.

Notes:
1.This review is based on experiments and samples of the work that I envision for the tool. You may have other uses for it.

2.Maybe a further review will follow a successful project.

3. It has drawn blood and most certainly not because it was blunt!!!!

4. I have no association with Mora or their distributors.

Pat French. September 2023.

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpeg
    IMG_5307.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5330.jpeg
    IMG_5330.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice review :thumbsup:

I looked at the knife online after you posted that you'd bought one.
I thought then that it was a pretty innocuous looking tool, something that might be useful for campcraft type stuff. From de-barking to cutting a quick mortice, simple carving to playing around with those hazel brushes and basketry sort of thing.

I find my Moras to be useful knives. Cheap as chips, but they do the job, and they don't have the 'high-tech aggressive' look of many others on the market. In this day and age that can matter.

Thank you for the review, I admit I'm tempted.

Reactions: Pattree

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You might have noticed that I moved it on via the “Gift it on Thread”

It’s a good little tool but I am well equipped with specific tools here at home and use little more than an Opinel when out in the field.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE