Why Not Show Off?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
theres a guid on here some where, but at the momnet i can't find it.
and spelling or grammar isn't my strong point either, and english is my only language

Vildmannen

Oct 4, 2009
Sweden
Well, after finding user British Reds guide i think I know how to do this, big thanks to Red!
9792607913.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What you see is the Original Volvo Cross country, known as Volvo C 303, or Tgb 11 (Terrängbil 11) in the Swedish army where the vast majority of the vehicles produced went.

Gets me anywhere imaginable, with locking differantials on both axels, and some heavy duty snow chains, can carry up to six seated passengers + the wheelman.

I disposed of the three pax foldable backseat though, to get a more even loading space in the back, so i can now haul all my kit including my Klepper 490 with the frame collapsed in two .

Hard to beat offroad, but clealy built for war, not for comfort (or fuel economy) - but it's worth it!

There is a three axeled, six wheeledl model as well, Tgb 13, but I can't summon the courage to tell the wife about those plans just yet. :argue:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hello Vildmannen , Great truck!

Just how bad is the fuel economy on that thing?
I ve been looking at these myself.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
hey Vildmannen,
the bloke i work with has a steyr puch pinzgauer which is the truck volvo based the C 303 on. its basicly the same, portal axals, front and rear diff locks etc.

we use it for work and his has a tipper truck convertion which imo makes it the ultimate tree surgeon-mobile :D it is very thirst thow, he only gets 15-20 mpg out of it but its so good off road. laugh in the face of any land rover!

shame i have no pictures, maby i'll get some on friday:)

pete

Vildmannen

Oct 4, 2009
Sweden
Thank you for the feedback!

Well, regarding fuel economy it will guzzle about 1.7 liters of 98 oktane fuel per 10 km, with just the rear, two wheel drive engaged, and no off roading.

Part of this is off course the old scool 3l petrol engine, with a pair of pretty inefficient carburettors, and the less than ideal aerodynamic design.

With four wheel drive and some serious terrain negotiating, it really makes no sense to even contemplate such matters...

Regarding the Pinzgauer design similarities, I don't really know, but the true ancestor of the Tgb 11 is the Volvo 903 Laplander, aka Valpen (the puppy), which was designed in the early fifties. But I agree that the simularities are striking, and probably so for a reason.

Good news for you then Tee Dee, I hear that when the Swedish armed forces sold off a bunch of theirs, quite a few of the better examples ended up in the UK, bought by some vehicle surplus company, do a search and you will probably find one, but beware of the rust though, some ex military individuals were given a second life with zinked rust protection, go for one of these.

I know my english is far from perfect so if something is unclear just ask again.

And finally some links to conclude this far to long post:

US enthusiast site:
http://www.real4x4.com/Volvo303.shtml

Some scotsman's enthusiast site:
http://www.volvoc303.co.uk/richard's_tgb13_6x6.htm

Nice youtube film:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42P93B_GzGA

Swedish enthusiast site, with a very helpfull following if you need any kind of help, english will do:
http://www.terrangbil.net/v2_index.asp

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
:)

Good links Vildmannen, thanks for posting.

Ref your English ,I think I can promise its far better then 95% of this forums Swedish speaking ability!:)

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Having an issue with photobucket at the moment.

My Daily is a Toyota Surf, Weekends it is a 1977 VW campervan and for the wet stuff I have got a 7.4 Mini Mal surf board and the not so rough stuff a Pelican Explorer canoe.

I love my toys.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I guess my bushmobile is the dirtbike but with it only being a 175 two stroke it rarely goes far from home these days. I don't mind life at 50-60mph if it's a quiet road but it's so easy to get caught in a burst of traffic that you're just not geared up for...
...and if you do gear up you lose the wandering about slowly off road ability.
....and the tires are kinda oversize. Always gets an MOT fine but I have my doubts about their legality and they feel dire on the road.

It's a DT175MX, last of the air cooled yam dirties. Don't have a pic but it's a wee gem.

The little roustabout is certainly nothing to write home about but it carries boats and butts and junk.

CS_05.jpg

There's only really one way to travel though. :)

ZXR.jpg

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I guess my bushmobile is the dirtbike but with it only being a 175 two stroke it rarely goes far from home these days. I don't mind life at 50-60mph if it's a quiet road but it's so easy to get caught in a burst of traffic that you're just not geared up for...
...and if you do gear up you lose the wandering about slowly off road ability.
....and the tires are kinda oversize. Always gets an MOT fine but I have my doubts about their legality and they feel dire on the road.

It's a DT175MX, last of the air cooled yam dirties. Don't have a pic but it's a wee gem.

I fancy something like that for my Land Rover. Save moving everything.

The little roustabout is certainly nothing to write home about but it carries boats and butts and junk.

Have wondered what a canoe would look like on my Golf!

There's only really one way to travel though. :)

Now if we were talking Harley....

This is my only 'drive' since the Tourettes kicked off...

Really fancy a recline trike. Wonder what they are like off road? Love the trailer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE