Much needed escape

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I need to get out of the house. I've been cooped up for a week and it's not good for me mentally. I'd write how my mental state is manifested in my behaviours, but I don't want to put a downer on people's evening. Instead I'm off out for an overnighter. It'll clear my head and the endorphins will kick in and I'll feel better. I always do.... I've grabbed a small selection of stuff to get me comfy wherever I end up. It won't be far, maybe a few hours walk from the house. I'll take you along with me for updates as the evening progresses, so if you like read along and return throughout the evening as I record my travels and thoughts.....

As a little teaser, here's my layout:

ecc9ef62084b5f8a184eabe03e132550.jpg

Platatac rucksack, about 45 ltrs.
Ajunglak sleeping bag 3 season.
Sleeping mat.
GSI kettle
1 ltr water bottle
750ml pathfinder cup
Mora HD
Bacho Laplander saw
Mini lighter
Small folding twig stove
Trangia stove
Spare fuel
Cnoc water bag
Sawyer mini filter
Spoon
24hr food
Alpkit Soloist tent
Silva compass

Not in picture:

Army surplus warm top
Catapult and balls
Head torch
Warm hat
Gloves
Med kit
2 cans of alcohol free beer

And the clothes I stand up in....

Right, I'm off!

It's bang on 5pm. Where has this warm sun come from? Meters from my house is this river. Now is full spate after the recent heavy rains.

5817aea1433d48b0c66c1d3e50cc080e.jpg

I can feel I'm moving too fast. I just want to get away from the house. I should slow down. A double burger (homemade) for dinner is sitting heavy in my stomach. Look at the river further on... this spot is a good place for Jack Pike usually. I've had a few from just behind that tree on the right. Not today though.... not today.

474f1fe1d91ddf4c47b013df2c9f657a.jpg

19152d8f14b4012e21a5a2c6fab85330.jpg

The pack looks big doesn't it? . Its not, I'm just short than the average...

45 minutes later, and after crossing some lush pasture for a few kilometers, it's time for a quick rest. That knoll looks inviting don't you think? Yes, time for a slurp of water.

6b2e40ac6359f81571cc93807e96d897.jpg

That was a short sharp climb to the top of the knoll! A slurp of water for sure. What I have always liked about rucksacks that have decent sized pockets on the outside is that I can access all of the immediate need stuff like water bottles, or my goretex jacket very quickly and without having to undo the main pack. Very handy. On the outside of this pack there's three pockets, one on each side. And one large one on the back. In one side pocket I carry goretex jacket and warm top, hat and gloves. In the other I carry water and my cooking kit. In the pocket on the back goes my tent.

99aa9e7d7c3c6810edfe9fa004e75cfe.jpg

While I'm discussing gear, on my feet are these cracking pair of Palladium rubber boots. £26 off the sale site. They're a hybrid Wellington/Patrol boot. Lightweight and with an excellent sole I can wear them all day with a good pair of socks. I highly recommend them, especially if you're covering sloppy ground. Because they're lace up, they fit very well indeed with no movement of the foot inside the boot. If you're worried about sweating, my wool socks do the business for me. Anyways..... enough kit chatter! Onwards! I'm feeling relaxed already, and the noggin is starting to slow down....

061ec396ee6945a4c81ae7fe2bdff34c.jpg

Ah.... a leisurely stroll across fields and down single track country lanes. The sun is beginning to set, so I must look for a camp site. I spy an isolated copse in a field, some distance from the lane. It looks a likey spot, so I push through the hedge and follow another that is perpendicular to the lane and heading uphill towards the copse.

I am distracted! There must be five or six hare in the field! I stop and stoop to observe them. But their filedcraft is much better than mine and it is I that is observed! They head bop and two get up on their hind quarters for a better look. I hold my breath and stare at them as they stare back at me. It appears that I am better than they are the 'loser blinks first' game and suddenly they all bolt off. I grin to myself and thank the stars I'm not relying on one for the pot as I would be going hungry....

Into the little copse I go and find a likely spot under a Hazel tree some way in.... I ditch my pack. This will do.

99b2931ea4743ee74c33a03f5a87ee8b.jpg

Leaving it there I take a slow walk around tonight's spot. The remenants of an old pheasant pen sits in the centre of the copse, and on the southern edge of the copse is a sheltering crop of rape mixed with what I think is sprouting broccoli that's gone mad! There's a buzzard nest high in a tree. Yup, a good spot for the night! I have collected some water from a shallow stream in the cnoc, ready for filtering. Time for a cup of tea....

2f621a65bb67292ab1738e290a2d8573.jpg

c28e1556850eca184c985f68fc4ff8a9.jpg

I have forgotten that I love the simplicity of the Trangia. No noise, no maintainence. I have boiled about a ltr of water in the GSI kettle, soke for now and some cooled water for later should I want it. I will most likely rehydrate before bed, so the old 'apache alarm clock' will wake me early. I'll sit here and sip my toffee coffee and munch on a natural nutty bar for a while. Its so damn relaxing just sat here, listening to the woods settling for the evening. I reckon I've got about a half hour of light left. No rush for the tent, it's real easy to put it up in the dark anyway.

26798e9b44f0d2afe78014dcf2b5bde4.jpg

Having just re-read my kit list (thanks Teedee) I forgot I had two beers! Nom nom nom, cheers everyone! (alcohol free because well..... just because I'm better off without alcohol) but its still great tasting beer!

94be545081312a2241f40a57df91675c.jpg

I feel great again now. Crikey, as easy as an evening walk into the woods. It's a true tonic for my soul. As its getting darker, I better put my tent up...

And that's a wrap folks. Cosy in my tent. A flipping pheasant kept making a racket meters from my site while I was setting up. So close I was tempted to mallet him!

7a35210e67531a1ec6cea9c039d42a10.jpg

I've messaged my wife to let her know where I am. Just finishing off this beer. Its all silent now. I'll probably read a book. My mind has settled. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I like those boots,any idea of the style name,and did you get them off the Palladuim website.Thanks.
They are the Palladium Pampa Hi Waterproof boot. I got mine off the main site about a year ago in a sale.

Reactions: billycoen

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Nice one. Remind me I need to get out and recharge

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
How do you like the soloist tent? I need something bigger than a tarp/bivi that is free standing. The tent I have is a bit heavy by current standards.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
How do you like the soloist tent? I need something bigger than a tarp/bivi that is free standing. The tent I have is a bit heavy by current standards.
It's good. For a short review......

1.2kg all in.
Packs down very small if pole stored separately.
Enough space for me, a full length inflatable mat and my 45ltr rucksack.
Vestibule very small, but you can cook in it.
One door, front entry. Doesn't bother me.
Ventilation isn't the best.
Pegs, only enough for every guy point, so I brought spares.
It feels very womb like when you're in it, snug.
Very sturdy.
Totally fit for purpose (3 season, below the snow line camps, very lightweight).

If it broke, I'd buy another one.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Thanks, sounds good. 3 season is ideal as I want it for relatively good weather. It’s to get an autistic lad out and about. He’s not keen on bugs and needs somewhere to hide away if the need arises.

Reactions: Van-Wild

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE