Which Truck?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I recently wrote off my Kia Sportage, and I'm now looking for something to replace it. I'd originally planned to get the same again ( I was very pleased with it, and with it's safety features I walked away from a very bad crash with only minor injuries ).

However, as I'm self employed, I won't be able to get a Sportage through my company, so I fancy getting a truck instead. I've got my eye on a Mitsubishi L200, but I also like the Nissan Navara that Lurch drives.

If anyone has any experience of these trucks ( or has another suggestion ), please stick your twopenn'th in.

Cheers, Michael.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
We've got an Isuzu TF, basic and reliable (ok dad has it, I've got a fiat van:rolleyes:). The new version would be the Rodeo.

It's fun to drive as you never really know if it will go around the corner:lmao: But thats how all 4x4 and pickups handle;)

The only thing that could be improved would be more storage space's inside.

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'd research the engine 'situation' on the Navaras (2003-6)... a google will explain the situation admirably :)

I like the L200s road manners but theres a few points to watch out for- if they're run out of diseasel, it tends to damage the fuel pump irrepairably and thats costly. And a PIA. We've a few farmer freinds who have found the gearbox struggles with heavy work, another potentially pricey replacement.

What sort of age you after? It makes a big difference with the Nav especially :) and opens up the market with eg ford rangers... our 02 was reliable (injectors went regularly but were cheap n easy to replace) but gosh, I seen more appealing looking road kill ;)

edit... just seen the comment ref Isuzu Rodeo, got a dealer down the road and we live opposite the garage that repairs them... gotta say, we see them there for their PDIs but rarely afterwards which has to be a good sign!

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
One of my colleagues has an 08 Navara - its never out of the garage - gearbox, injectors, flywheel, electrics, drivetrain have all caused problems and Nissan UK have been next to useless!

L200's are OK, I had an old shape 06 Trojan which did me proud even with road tyres. Ford Rangers are definitely worth a look also. Defender Crew Cab is the way forward if you have the budget!!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I had a ranger good reliable truck but in my eyes need to be permanent four wheel drive as a bit scittish in the wet and would get stuck in a puddle until engaged4.
Turning circle is usless on most pickups and there alot longer than most realise.
To me the rangers are more workhorses and the navaras are a bit fancier
there all nice though

garethw

Settler
Hi there
Both are good reliable trucks, but I saw a Fifth Gear review and the concensus was that the Nissan was a far better truck, both in performance and handling.
Also worth a look and probably what I'd go for faced with the same choice is the Toyota Hilux. Probably the pick of the bunch of trucks these days.

Cheers
Gareth

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Do you have full size trucks there?
We only get imports of the true flag waving American muscle trucks... they're hard to spot as they're rare beasts which tend to get surrounded by salivating chaps in realtree.... and me :)

We've not traded any hiluxes because they're a rare find and the prices hold well- many get traded to export or direct to retail. This could be seen as a vote in their favour! As Vizla mentions, all the 4x4 pickup/ d/cans are *ahem* fun drives in wet/ slippy conditions with a light back end floating in the corners, many folk advocate a good load to keep them a bit more predictable. The only times I've been stuck offroad has been wheelbase related in aforesaid Ranger, firstly with bottoming out midchassis leaving the axles dangling and secondly negotiating an acute dip where the front n rear held the wheels too light to have traction... HWMBO's fault for lending the missus a 4WD near a tank course ;)

Did the MOT change happen to reclassify pickups/ D/Cabs as class 7 vehicles ie over 3000kg? We've not traded any since it was threatened as the depression & that made them difficult to trade on...

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
My brother in law is a machanic and in the same shop they have a Mitsi workshop too
They often have gearboxes to replace on the 4x4's - they just can't take the force put through them apparently

Mark

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
A colleague hired a new Hilux for some pretty rough work in very muddy terrain. He clipped the plastic bearing housing on the drive shaft on a piece of wood. The bearing fell apart. The fitter from the hire company said that meant a new half shaft. Not very rugged. In fact a bit delicate for use in the wild.

I run an old Ranger. Tough as nuts without the Hilux "Clarkson effect" price hike. You need some weight in the back if its at all slippy, but then it's not a sports car!

Z

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I've got an '06 plate Ford Ranger (Mark II) DOuble cab. I LOVE it. Bought it last December for a touch over 6K. 65K on the clock, near spotless interior, good service history.

I have for years wanted a defender LWB but for anything that isn't a project the cost is just crazy. About 12-15k for County spec same age etc as my Ranger. I opted for ranger because the (ahem) Countryside Ranger service I work with use them and really rate them.

It is hugely long, though not quite long enough for me to sleep in the back with the tail up! - I have modded a tarp to fit to the back to compensate though.

The internets came up with only one common fault, the clutch goes if you tow lots. I don't so no problem.

It can be skittish in 2wd in the wet -but only when the back end is empty. Load it up and it is fine. 4wd in the snow is brilliant. crossing fords also fun.

Jay

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Thanks for the replies everyone, but in the end I've gone and bought another Kia Sportage.

My need for a pickup has changed ( although I still really like them and it would be incredibly practical ), but I thought that the Sportage that I crashed was brilliant, and with it's safety features I walked away from a crash where I rolled the car end over end two and a half times down a fellside which might have killed me in a less robust car.

All the best, Michael.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Been researching 4x4 and Pick ups myself recently,and the one that comes out on top is the toyota Hilux,heard good things about Mitsubishi L200s,Ford Rangers and the Mazda B series,but of them I will probably go for a Hilux double cab.But I may go for a Toyota Land Cruiser Colorado 3.0 with D4-4 engine from 2001,comfort level and security,could win out,as this a solid,dependable,reliable vehicle.

garethw

Settler
The Ford Ranger and the Mazda B are the same truck rebadged by Ford, just like my Terrano was rebadged Maverick...
Seems unusual the Hilux breaking so easily, The old one the guys used to have out here in France really took some stick.

The problem with the more recent Landcruiser's is that they've gone 'Softroader' on us... too much electronic rubbish, plush interiors and pandering to on-road driving (independent suspension for example). It's getting pretty hard to find a proper 4x4 these days.

They still actually make the old 70 series Lancruiser, but we don't get them in Europe.. pity as its an unbustable truck and in its LWB form has the best of a pick up and an station wagon.

cheers
Gareth

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
my boss has a L200 single cab and no matter how much abuse it just seems to keep on going. up untill recently it was our only truck so was usually filled to the brim with woodchip or cordwood (with greedy boards so must be well over a ton). we oftern drive it off road through the woods loaded only adding extra stress and it copes fine.
iv driven it and i can't beleve how light the clutch and steering is and it seems very capable off road as long as you have some good mud terains fitted.

wouldn't hesitate to reccomend an L200, i havn't had experience of the nissan or isuzu. we had a crew cab ford ranger for a while and it was ok but seems to lack the guts of the L200 and wasn't as good for towing or off road.
i know a few people with oldschool hiluxs (with beam axils front and back and non turbo diesel). these arn't very quick compaired to more modern trucks but tow well and are good off road too. i think these older hiluxes are the ones with the unbreakable reputation and are known to clock over 200k miles with few issues (the one from top gear). wheather the newer ones are as good im not sure.

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE