A Walk Around Stora Neten, Sweden.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
My original plan was to drive near to the start of my walk on the Friday night and camp out, but it rained all day and showed no sign of stopping by the time I finished work, so I changed my plans to a night in, a few glasses of wine and a film. It’s not that I object to a night out in the rain, it’s the fact that drying my gear is a massive hassle at the moment. I’m staying in a room the size of the box bedroom I had as a kid, so space is at a premium.
I had a good lie in on Saturday, and decided on one of the shorter walks that I’d route planned. This was also partly due to the fact that my new boots haven’t broken my feet in yet. I drove to Nösslinge, about 45 minutes away and parked the car near a picturesque old church.

PA170095-1.jpg

The start of the walk was straightforward, and it gave me a good chance to get used to the Swedish 1:50,000 map that I’d bought. I’ve been using OS 1:25,000 maps at home for years now and have got familiar with the high level of detail on them, so it was a bit of a shock going back to the scale that I learned to map read on. This lack of detail would result in some minor navigational glitches, of which more later. Once I crossed the bridge over the narrows of the lake,

PA170096.jpg

I joined the Halland Trail for a short distance. This trail takes you the length of Halland County, and links up with other trails through counties to the north and south, and ultimately forms part of the North Sea Trail that links together all of the countries surrounding the North Sea.
Alternating between the Halland Trail and forest tracks for the first mile and a half I made good progress, through scenery reminiscent of the deep dark woods in “The Gruffalo”.

PA170097.jpg

PA170102.jpg

Anyone with kids under five who have read the story to them will be able to picture the scene immediately.

PA170108.jpg

When these paths ended ( unfortunately in the middle of a small field, complete with fire ring, bag of rubbish and a discarded kettle ) I made my way south with a combination of bushwhacking, walking along the water’s edge

PA170106.jpg

and following animal trails heading in my general direction.
At about the two mile point, I was forced inland and uphill by a big outcrop of rock that went down to the water’s edge, with it’s opposite number facing me on the peninsula across the water. At the top I took these pics, take a note of the big pine tree for scale later on.

PA170113.jpg

PA170116.jpg

PA170117.jpg

As I dropped down the other side of the outcrop,

PA170121.jpg

I passed several glacial erratics, of which I’d notice many more as I continued on my walk. There’s no shortage of stone in these woods.

PA170120.jpg

It was about this time that my boots started to rub in some bizarre places; under my right ankle bone on my right foot, on the sides of my heels on both feet and the Achilles tendon on my left foot. I adjusted my laces, cut myself a walking stick and set off to find somewhere for a brew. Crossing a stream, I found a fatwood stump and took some for later on. There was much more than I took, but I wasn’t even half way around yet so I left it where I found it.

PA170127.jpg

I got back onto a forest trail soon after, and took several pieces of bark off some downed birches as I passed for my fire. I found a place on the lakeshore with a good view and stopped for some tea and snacks. With the birchbark and fatwood the kettle was soon on the fire, and I sat down and refuelled.

PA170142.jpg

PA170146.jpg

This is a view back to the rock outcrop that I had to skirt around. The pine tree that’s casting it’s shadow on the slab is the one that I took a photo looking down on earlier.

PA170132.jpg

And opposite on the peninsula

PA170135.jpg

Feeling much more energetic after my brew, I set off again and crossed some fields towards the woods at the back of the peninsula. It was in these woods that I had to backtrack a couple of times after realising that the overgrown paths that I’d walked past was actually the forest roads marked on the map that I should have taken. I kept on heading roughly north ( and finding the occasional chanterelle )

PA170150.jpg

and gaining height until I reached a bald hilltop, where the setting sun gave the leaves a real golden haze.

PA170153.jpg

PA170159.jpg

Re-entering the woods, I had a quick look at my compass to make sure that I was going north, aiming to intercept an east-west forest road that I would take east to gain another forest road that would take me north. I found a few more chanterelles, picked them and began looking for more. This is where I should have been taking much more care with my direction of travel, as when I found a forest track I assumed it was the one that I was looking for and turned right, walking along quite happily for a couple of hundred metres until I passed through a clearing, and the sun was on my right, not on my left as I was expecting. The compass came out again ( and stayed out this time ) and told me that I was heading almost due south, exactly the opposite direction that I wanted to be going. Despite being certain that I was on the correct path, and going in the right direction, I knew that it’s much better to trust your compass, so I turned around and walked north. My choice was soon vindicated when ( much to my relief ) I passed Furesjön, a small lake in the woods.
By this point then sun was below the horizon, and the temperature was dropping quickly as it got darker. Knowing that I was now on the correct track I pushed on quickly, reaching the car just before full dark.

PA170162.jpg

PA170168.jpg

PA170177.jpg

All the best, Michael.

One of these links should show you where I went:

http://maps.google.se/maps?f=s&ie=UTF8&ll=57.194599,12.56424&spn=0.068079,0.15398&t=h&z=13

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.se/maps?f=s&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=57.194599,12.56424&amp;spn=0.068079,0.15398&amp;t=h&amp;z=13&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.se/maps?f=s&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=57.194599,12.56424&amp;spn=0.068079,0.15398&amp;t=h&amp;z=13&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Visa större karta</a></small>

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That looks superb Michael, very jealous mate.

If you can squeeze another of those kettles in your bag on your way home let me know :D

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
That was a great read, really enjoyed it.

Those woods do look like they could hide a few Gruffaloes.

That looked like a lovely spot for a quick brew-up.

Good call on trusting your compass too. I've done that many a time. An over-confidence in my sense of direction has got me in trouble with the wife on quite a few occasions.

Thanks for sharing your day.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Beautiful Michael, glad you are still enjoying it over there. Did you get your axe in the end?

I ended up getting a GB Wildlife Hatchet. I'll hand it on to my lad when he's old enough to use and appreciate it, and I'll kepp my Cegga.

That looks superb Michael, very jealous mate.

If you can squeeze another of those kettles in your bag on your way home let me know :D

It's one of those Outwell kettles Rich, I bought it in Blacks in Ayr. It was you who put me onto them through this forum.

The red hat btw, is so that I don't get mistaken for a moose. Big Swede warned me to wear something bright during the hunting season in case someone was a bit eager or trigger happy.

Cheers, Michael.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's one of those Outwell kettles Rich, I bought it in Blacks in Ayr. It was you who put me onto them through this forum.

Cheers, Michael.

I thought it was one of the Eagle Products ones sorry.

Loving the pics though mate, how much longer are you there for ? Will you see winter in ?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Loving the pics though mate, how much longer are you there for ? Will you see winter in ?[/QUOTE]

I should at least get a turkey out of it Rich, but it might continue on into next year. It's hard to tell, because safety is always the number one priority on nuclear jobs, and budget restraints have to come second. The plant's been in outage for a long time now for a changeover from an analogue to a digital control system ( which has been bolted onto old equipment ), so we'll have to see if the plan survives contact with the plant. It's pretty well organised though, and motivation is high,especially compared with certain places in the UK.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Thanks for sharing, beautiful place, really good photos! :)

I'd love to be there right now!

Mike

Germany's not a million miles away Mike...

There are quite a few Germans here, and some of them have driven up ( along with some of the Czechs ). The Germans seem to be having the most fun too; one of them drives his van to Germany, fills it up with beer and drives back again. They used to have carpark parties when we were living on the ship as alcohol wasn't allowed on board.

Cheers, Michael.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Germany's not a million miles away Mike...

There are quite a few Germans here, and some of them have driven up ( along with some of the Czechs ). The Germans seem to be having the most fun too; one of them drives his van to Germany, fills it up with beer and drives back again. They used to have carpark parties when we were living on the ship as alcohol wasn't allowed on board.

Cheers, Michael.

Sounds like a lot of fun :)

Actually, I'm trying to convince SWMBO to spend our next summer hols up in Sweden. Maybe hire a house near a lake or near the coast.

I conducted the plan to get my parents to join us - they can spend time with the kids, I send the wife off Shopping with a locked credit card :tapedshut , and I can go bushcrafting :D

Are you renting a place ther for holidays? How much would it be? Any infos appreciated :)

Cheers

Mike

PS that really looks like straight out of the Gruffalo! :O

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Nice one. The fifth pic from above looks like some parts of the Bohus trail we took last time.

Without the rain though.

I'll have to see if one of my colleagues could drop us off somewhere and we can do a decent section of it. In places it was a good job that the trees were marked because you couldn't see the trail through the depth of the leaves.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE